Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake caliper sticking loud squealing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake caliper sticking loud squealing

04 f150 2wd, I just replaced the brakes 1 month ago with ceramic brake pads, It seems like the squealing is getting louder every day. The wheel is hard to turn but has no play up and down. At first when you pressed the brakes the noise would stop now the more you drive it it seems the noise becomes ever increasing. Could someone please enlightmen me on my options. Thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't have a clue about the ceramics, never have used them. Brake squealing is an on going thing. Since the no no of asbestos, we are having to put up with the noise. Something with the two friction surfaces not liking each other.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 AM

This is not a regular noise plus it is intermittent, Not happening all the time, I think its just that the caliper is stuck and am wondering what my options are on repairing the caliper.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:38 PM

I had a front caliper seize on my 04 (2wd) at 36,758 miles. Heres how it happened on mine ....

Drove the truck to work, noticed a hot brake smell when I was at a stoplight and thought to myself ..."some dumb***** is driving around with his emergency brake on" I even checked mine to make sure the dumb***** wasnt me.

Drove home from work, at first everything was fine, then smelled hot brakes again about half way home and thats when I realized that the brake smell was coming from my truck. Got home, felt the wheel on the drivers side front and it was HOT, HOT ! If yours is doing what mine did, my guess is that the piston is probably angled in the bore of the caliper. I wouldnt be surprised to hear that when you pull the caliper off and look at the piston, it will have a lot of side to side play in it if its not stuck already.

Called the Ford dealership made an appointment for the next morning, when I left my house it was fine, and sure enough on the way to the dealership I started to smell brake again. Pulled into the service write up area and now the brake was smoking ! Since it was early in the day, they took my truck right in to be worked on. The mechanic had to pry the caliper off the rotor. When he got it off and pulled the pad away from the caliper the piston fell out in pieces. The rotor was burnt and scored bad, it was completely trashed. Luckily I had the Platinum Extended Warranty and they ended up replacing both rotors, one caliper and both sets of front brake pads under warranty.

I had the chance to talk to the tech who was working on it and he said this was not the first time he had seen this problem and its not just on 04's. Turns out a friend of mine had the exact same problem on an 05 4X4. When I mentioned my truck just getting out of the shop and what happened his reply was "me too !" . His did it at about 32,000 miles.

Last edited by incogmeo; 03-07-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Forgot to mention .... The tech said he thought what happened was that the piston had gotten cocked sideways in the bore somehow. It was the heat that made it shatter the way it did. Hopefully you havent roasted your rotor like I did. I still have the reciept from the work done and if you need part numbers, feel free to send me a P.M.

Last edited by incogmeo; 03-07-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Hey i got it worked on yesterday, what happened is pretty funny actually, not for me so much though. I bought new Ceramic metallic pads from autozone the best they had at about 70.oo a pair, well me and a bud put them on, according to my mechanic we put the passenger side on backwards so it was pushing into the rotor and sticking they switched the pads around charged me 1 hour labor @ 45.00 and sent me down the road, they are working fine now and there is no squeak or squeal at all, Thank you for your help though and ill keep that in mind in case i run into this problem again...

Quick Reply: Brake caliper sticking loud squealing