Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake cable question - Upgrading 8.8 w/ drum brakes to a 9.75 axle w/ disc brakes

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake cable question - Upgrading 8.8 w/ drum brakes to a 9.75 axle w/ disc brakes

This will be tough to describe but I will try my best.

I removed a 8.8 axle with drum brakes from a 1998 F150 with an 8 foot bed. I installed a 2002 or 2003, 9.75 axle with disc brakes (I am trying to add keywords for searches).

I used a drive shaft that was 1 1/2 inches shorter than the original. I think it came from a king cab with short bed but I am not sure. The key is that you have to use a shorted drive shaft (adding more info for someone who wants to upgrade).

Now this is my problem. I used the parking brake cables that came with the 9.75 axle and disc brakes.

The cable from the right-rear wheel will reach the next cable that it is under the driver's door but when I add the cable form the left rear wheel, the cable cannot reach the connection on the next cable.

Solutions that would make it work:
- If the cable was 3 inches longer both cables would reach the next connection.
- If the housing was 3 inches shorter, the cable would extend 3 inches further away from the cable bracket that is attached to the leaf spring.
- If the cable bracket on the leaf spring was 3 inches forward, it would be able to reach.

I don't know if I described that good enough but the cable on the left wheel does not appear to be long enough and I have checked other models and they all have a 28 inch housing and a 39.5 inch cable.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do? Do the models with disc brakes have a different attachment on the leaf spring? The problem is where both cables meet at the left side leaf spring.

There is a bracket that connected the two sides together. Maybe I have that bracket backwards but I doubt it because I laid it down in the same position that I took it off.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Brake cable question - Upgrading 8.8 w/ drum brakes to a 9.75 axle w/ disc brakes-f150_brake_cable.jpg  

Last edited by KevinT; 03-09-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to say thanks to everyone on this site. Everyone has been a huge help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake cable question - Upgrading 8.8 w/ drum brakes to a 9.75 axle w/ disc brakes