Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

bought first ford, maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought first ford, maintenance questions

I just bought a 2002 f150 with the 4.6. This is my first ford so im sure it'll take a little getting used to how its put together, but i am mechanically inclined. Ive owned mostly jeeps, but have also had chevy and VW (never buy a Vw unless you like spending money). Anyway, ive done a little research about he 4.6's and it seems that everyone has their own opinion on just about everything, but no facts. Its got 140k on it, sounds great and has no leaks, ticks, or knocks. Tranny shifts nicely and diff's dont make any weird noises. Seems like a solid truck. Does anyone have any advice on what should i take care of right off the bat? Im thinking fuel/air/tranny filter, maybe plugs, and prob change all the fluids. The problem im having is, i cannot seem to find the correct fluid weights and oil types to use in tranny, transfer case, and diffs. Anyone know? And what is the deal with spark plugs blowing out of heads? Is it improper torque and are you supposed to use antiseize on the plug threads? A lot of questions, but id appreciate any info. Thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome, zing, and I think you got a good year and engine. I'm in the no anti seize on plugs camp. I don't think your model has much of a plug problem. Changing fluids is a good thing, I usually like to do that too. You can check here under a sticky for the information you need, I think it's listed there. Easy enough to find anyway.

Oh, and we really don't believe you got a truck. Know why?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:52 PM

haha I like the banner. Ill get some pics soon
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Torque the plugs to 25ft.lbs., dry, no anti-seize, the front diff uses 80w90, rear diff 75w140, full synthetic, transmission and transfer case use MerconV ATF.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you! That makes it so much simpler.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try http://owner.ford.com put in your vin, there is manual if you dont have a paper one. all the info is there... i recently came to a f150 after 25 years of jettas myself... do a lot of reading on this board. pcv valve is a good item to check and replace...
Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by gcdidthis
try http://owner.ford.com put in your vin, there is manual if you dont have a paper one. all the info is there... i recently came to a f150 after 25 years of jettas myself... do a lot of reading on this board. pcv valve is a good item to check and replace...

Thanks i'll check it out. I have the manual in a PDF, but i didn't think it was all that useful.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the back should have all the fluid capacities and suggestions. people here tend to suggest using OEM parts and oils
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 PM

thanks. I checked the manual and it gave me all the info i needed. I want to change antifreeze because the stuff in there now looks like its been in there a while. Its got a dark green color so i dont know if it was the ford green antifreeze or it was changed to prestone at some time. Does it really matter what coolant goes in there? The store down the street has the g-05 coolant so that i think is what ford recommends, but im not going to the dealer to buy antifreeze. Also, i got a pcv valve and not sure the deal with the one in the truck now. Its looks like the original and i guess you have to turn it out? It deff didnt pull up so i tried turning it both ways and couldnt get it to budge. Am i missing something? The one i got just pushes in.

Quick Reply: bought first ford, maintenance questions