Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Blown engine or Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Blown engine or Oil Pump

My sister has a 99 F-150 5.4. Her oil light came on and she two quarts of oil. It seem to run fine. She left work and drove a few miles and the truck died. She had it towed home and she put in a new battery and it started for 30sec and died. They tried to turn the drive shaft and it didn't move. Could the oil pump go bad and that would cut off the engine to save it. Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Default oil pump/ engine failure

Did she have the engine looked at yet?

You never know. Before my new F150 I had a 95 ranger with a 4.0L, 5spd, and 4x4. I was out four wheeling one day and noticed the oil pressure drop. I was in the middle of a large marshy/boggy area and had to get out so I matted the gas pedal and headed for dry land. THe thing ran like a raped ape for about 15 minutes! I made it outta the bog and it was running so good that i just drove it home and parked it. When i tried to start it up a few days later, the engine wouldnt turn over. Come to find out, the motor was siezed up. It was the damndest thing though... id never seen anything like that before.

My point is that you just never know sometimes.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

drain the oil out of it, and see how much is there.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:11 AM

whyd you try to turn the drive shaft? Try turning the crank. Take off the serpentine belt and stick a big socket and rachet on the bolt on the harmonic balancer. If you have one of those special tools to clamp onto the balancer that would be better. If that doesnt turn then yer screwed. Just make sure that you dont take that bolt out or loosen it! It may be a left hand thread... you may want to look at a tech manual or something.

Quick Reply: Blown engine or Oil Pump