Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Bent Rear Axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent Rear Axle

So yesterday as I was pulling out of the gas station I misjudged the placement of my F-150 and clipped a guard post at the pump with my passenger rear tire. Now I was going less than 5 MPH, I got out of the truck to see what damage I just did to my truck. Noticed that I cracked the rim and the tire was shifted back in the wheel well so I assumed that I sheared the alignment pin. No body damage, so I took the truck home and took my other truck to work. When I got home I jacked the rear end up and took a better look at the damage and saw the alignment pin was still on tacked but the passenger side housing tube and axle were bent! Now I understand that I made an idiot move by hitting the post but can someone explain to me how in the hell an axle could bend that easy!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Wise man once said, Pole Strong, made by hard working man, tax dollars at work.

Sorry for the ****ty luck.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Did you actually put a straight edge on the axle tube? The pin in the stack of leaf springs may have sheared off allowing the axle tube to shift to the rear. I dont know what your deductible is on your comprehensive insurance but I file a claim and get the wheel replace, the rear end fixed and any other issues that you may not even have seen yet. If it really did bend the axle you may have cracked a gear in the diff as well. Good luck
Old 02-18-2015, 04:55 PM

You really didn't need a straight edge to see the bend but yes I did and I also jacked up the rear end and put the truck in great. The tire definitely has a wobble to it with the damaged rim and also the spare. I called the insurance company today and filed the claim. After talking to my mechanic I'm just going to have the whole rear end replaced. I'm just waiting on the insurance claim adjustor to call me to determine if I'm going to get a new or rebuilt. Luckily my deductible is only $250

Last edited by jNovina; 02-18-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jNovina
You really didn't need a straight edge to see the bend but yes I did and I also jacked up the rear end and put the truck in great. The tire definitely has a wobble to it with the damaged rim and also the spare. I called the insurance company today and filed the claim. After talking to my mechanic I'm just going to have the whole rear end replaced. I'm just waiting on the insurance claim adjustor to call me to determine if I'm going to get a new or rebuilt. Luckily my deductible is only $250
It's hard to see in the picture but it's bent right at the u-bolts on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails Bent Rear Axle-image-1380214791.jpg   Bent Rear Axle-image-350537563.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

wow, you can totally see the bend! and you were able to drive it home?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year truck is that?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badwithcomputer
wow, you can totally see the bend! and you were able to drive it home?

Agreed, No trouble seeing that. If the shaft isn't touching the tube wall it must be pretty close.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM
F150 Vendor

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that was all from a simple 5mph impact.

I live in Minnesota and if these trucks were that fragile there would be F-150s littering the roads with broken wheels and bent axles simply due to the horrific road conditions here in the winter.

-Steve
Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@Tasca
I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that was all from a simple 5mph impact.

I live in Minnesota and if these trucks were that fragile there would be F-150s littering the roads with broken wheels and bent axles simply due to the horrific road conditions here in the winter.

-Steve
Strength of the truck is not in question. What he hit and how he hit it makes all the difference.

Quick Reply: Bent Rear Axle