Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Battery Harness?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Harness?

Negative terminal clamp is jacked. Is there an easy way to replace this? I see a complete harness from Ford but mine has a fusible link that is on the cables between the neg and pos clamps, I don't see that on the new one. I am not really interested in cutting and splicing if it is possible to avoid it. Hate to buy an entire harness for one clamp though. Thanks.

*Edit. Ford guy said he has the complete harness. That'll make it easier.

Last edited by RickNC; 05-17-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Conversion clamps are designed to fit side mount battery harnesses to top post batteries. In the past I've soldered these to the original battery cable to replace those cheap bolt-on clamps. They are available to fit either positive (+) posts or negative (-) posts, so in your case buy the one for a negative post.
A 300-325 watt soldering gun or a big old soldering iron is adequate for the task, or use a propane torch as a heat source. Pre-tin the factory 4 ga cable before inserting it into the back of the clamp and add enough rosin core solder while heating the end of the cable and the end of the clamp as you insert the cable to make a solid connection and fill the void. This will prevent corrosion inside the connection. Be careful not to melt the clamp when using a torch. Sometimes it is necessary to drill out the threads in the conversion clamp to fit the battery cable.

Last edited by DIY; 05-18-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: rewrite
Old 05-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Purchased the complete harness from Ford and it came with much improved battery clamps. Pretty easy swap and I believe the new clamps alone were worth it.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RickNC
Negative terminal clamp is jacked. Is there an easy way to replace this? I see a complete harness from Ford but mine has a fusible link that is on the cables between the neg and pos clamps, I don't see that on the new one. I am not really interested in cutting and splicing if it is possible to avoid it. Hate to buy an entire harness for one clamp though. Thanks.

*Edit. Ford guy said he has the complete harness. That'll make it easier.
Hate is an ugly word, especially when you use it in haste. Just sayin'.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by DIY
Hate is an ugly word, especially when you use it in haste. Just sayin'.
Thank you, that is very helpful and I'll sleep better tonight knowing that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Harness?