Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Battery connections

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery connections

Hello,

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a how to type thing regarding my connections and wires for my battery. The wires are starting to look pretty bad, the connectors are in worse shape and I have a hard time getting them tight enough.

I have a 94 F150 xlt 5.8.

I'm not experienced with working on vehicles but I've been a technician for many years so I feel if it isn't too bad of a job that I could handle it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure what you have or what hack job has been done in the past, so I'll state my opinion of the crap that everyone wants to buy to save a nickle.

1. Battery terminals, DO NOT BUY the bolt on terminals. They offer very poor electrical conductivity and have zero corrsion prevention. Purchase new cables of proper size and length.

2. Purchase a high quality crimping tool for all the light duty work. In my tool box, you will find a tool made by AMP Industries called Super Champ. Aircraft mechanics, back in my day used them for their needs.

3. Get a set of wiring diagrams that fits your truck. Research Helm industries, they print all the diagrams as well as manuals, for Ford Motor Company.

Quick Reply: Battery connections