Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Bad U-Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bad U-Joints?

A while back, I made a post about some issues I was having with my 2012 F150...among them were:

In 2WD mode, there is a constant, mild, but never ending vibration in the steering wheel & gas pedal. If you switch to 4WD, that vibration completely disappears

When putting the truck in reverse and pushing on the gas - there is a loud "CLUNK" usually followed by 2 or 3 smaller clink clink clink (I suck at replicating the noises...)

If making a sharp, left turn, there's almost always a VERY loud clunk (akin to the one described in the backing up noise) --- this same exact noise happens if you inadvertently hit a pothole with the front left tire.

I have been researching my *** off - went to two different Ford Dealers and, I am not making this up: Was told it's normal. It...is...normal.

So, after doing a hell of a lot of my own research, I'm pretty convinced it's bad u-joints...but I'm not sure. I'm afraid to go back to the Ford Dealers and ask for confirmation, I'm genuinely convinced they don't knwo their *** from a hole in the ground in my area.

But, since I have the ExtraCare plan, it's going to save me some money - I just wanna make sure I'm educated before going back.

Do these sounds like obvious characteristics of bad ujoints to you guys?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
A while back, I made a post about some issues I was having with my 2012 F150...among them were:

In 2WD mode, there is a constant, mild, but never ending vibration in the steering wheel & gas pedal. If you switch to 4WD, that vibration completely disappears

When putting the truck in reverse and pushing on the gas - there is a loud "CLUNK" usually followed by 2 or 3 smaller clink clink clink (I suck at replicating the noises...)

If making a sharp, left turn, there's almost always a VERY loud clunk (akin to the one described in the backing up noise) --- this same exact noise happens if you inadvertently hit a pothole with the front left tire.

I have been researching my *** off - went to two different Ford Dealers and, I am not making this up: Was told it's normal. It...is...normal.

So, after doing a hell of a lot of my own research, I'm pretty convinced it's bad u-joints...but I'm not sure. I'm afraid to go back to the Ford Dealers and ask for confirmation, I'm genuinely convinced they don't knwo their *** from a hole in the ground in my area.

But, since I have the ExtraCare plan, it's going to save me some money - I just wanna make sure I'm educated before going back.

Do these sounds like obvious characteristics of bad ujoints to you guys?
I have the 2010 4x4 and have read that the vacuum lines that are used to engage/disengage are leaking. Either that or the selonoid that works the vacuum lines are bad. It said that it is a weak vacuum and it's not holding the front differential (??? I'm new to 4x4. This Is my first one.) back far enough and your shocks are giving way enough to allow the axle to try and connect (think of it like trying to put a standard transmission into a low gear while going a high speed) maybe this can be some "ammo" for the service techs. Hope it helps, PLEASE post with any updates, as I said, I'm having the same issue.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took it to a 3rd, non-ford-affiliated dealer today to have them check it out and they, too, are telling me this is normal.

3 dealerships are telling me the clunks, clangs, and vibration is normal.

*IF* that is the case - then all of my Chevy friends are right when they give me hell for buying a Ford.

My quest is not done yet, I am still not convinced that it's "normal" but jesus, how can nobody ID wtf is going on here

Quick Reply: Bad U-Joints?