Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Bad gasoline problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad gasoline problems?

My truck has been in the shop three times in the last month. The first time it just lost all engine power in the middle of interstate travel. Would start fine but as soon as placed in drive would drop to 0rpms and die. Towed to shop and next day ran fine for shop and since no engine light, no codes flashed. Week and a half later loss of power but not complete loss and this time check engine light came on. Had towed back to shop and after a week told it was "bad gas". Was told gas ethanol too high, for my flex fuel truck that was filled with unleaded gasoline. They drained tank and supposedly tested after driving 30 miles and said it was ready. I picked it up, dropped off something at home and was going back out and check engine light back on. Now it's supposedly the purge valve and evap canister that was caused from contaminated gas. So, my question is: Is bad or contaminated gas a reason that could cause these 2 items to fail? I haven't found anything to confirm that bad gas could cause these problems but don't know if I can trust the mechanic after telling me the gas had too much ethanol in a truck that can run with up to 85% ethanol and I fill it up with regular unleaded.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:41 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Too much Ethanol is BS.. A bad purge valve sounds like it could be a potential problem. I would also check the condition of the FPDM.

Quick Reply: Bad gasoline problems?