Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Backup camera flashing

Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup camera flashing

Good Morning, I have a 2010 F150 Platinum that has begun having backup camera issues. I Thought It might be good to ask here before sending it in for a checkup. Some of the threads I have read seem to point to temperature, but I do not think that is my case as it happens at 32 degrees just as it does at 80.

Issue:
When I put the truck in reverse the backup camera comes on. on a good day I will see my backup lines and everything is good.

On a so so day I will put in reverse and will get my back up lines for about 20 seconds or so, the camera then begins to flash and I will get a picture but the image is reversed.

On a bad day which is typical. I put in reverse and the picture automatically goes to flicker mode. It will continue to do this, only pausing to show an image that is reversed or mirrored.

Additionally, no matter what its doing when the flickering stops the picture is crystal clear (reversed or as it should be)

I would happy to take a video of it, but not sure I have enough post to share a video.

I will be happy to provide more information if I forgot something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 11-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Platinum Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump on this topic.

Any resolve?

Also have 2010 Platinum with exact same issue with the backup camera.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:07 AM

No nothing. Still same issue. Some days it is perfect but most flashing and backwards. If you find a resolve, PLEASE let me know.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:27 PM

I have a 2010 and had the exact same problem.The camera had to be replaced......$700 plus. It is definitely a different version of the camera that was installed as the center black line, on screen, is thicker and the camera picks up more light at night so that I can actually see a little more of what is behind me on a very dark night.

It seems like an easy replacement but supposedly there is "programming" of some sort that goes along with the installation.

Take it to your dealer to see how bad they will hit you for. I tried tracing wires looking for a short or a crimped or pinched wire or maybe a loose connection but it was the camera. Exact same problems you listed.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:31 PM

Wow thanks. I want to take it to the dealer, but they said they would charge me 125$ to look at it. So I do not want to pay 125$ to have them tell me it will cost 700$

Bummer!!
The following users liked this post:
Jonathan watson (05-16-2023)
Old 11-14-2014, 04:26 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by swalke2
Wow thanks. I want to take it to the dealer, but they said they would charge me 125$ to look at it. So I do not want to pay 125$ to have them tell me it will cost 700$

Bummer!!
No don't take it to the dealer and spend all that money! We have a camera that will plug right in for much less, and it's better than the factory camera. No programming necessary and if it doesn't work for you send it back for a full refund.

Here's the link:
https://camera-source.com/products/f...lacementcamera

NOTE: Since your truck is older than mid-year 2013 you will also need to purchase the housing and emblem with the camera since they did a housing update. This new replacement camera is designed to fit in the new housings.

Thanks and don't hesitate to give a all if you have questions!

Regards,
camera-source.com
888-844-9763
Old 11-15-2014, 01:30 PM

The dealer did charge a diagnostic fee which was applied to the cost of the repair. And yes, the 2010 does require the FORD emblem to be replaced since is has to be "broken" to be taken off to replace the camera. The aftermarket camera may be a viable option but I didn't know what the actual problem was until I had the diagnostic test run. Had I known, I would have replaced the camera myself.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 AM
F150 Vendor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion210
The dealer did charge a diagnostic fee which was applied to the cost of the repair. And yes, the 2010 does require the FORD emblem to be replaced since is has to be "broken" to be taken off to replace the camera. The aftermarket camera may be a viable option but I didn't know what the actual problem was until I had the diagnostic test run. Had I known, I would have replaced the camera myself.

The nice thing is that you can just try our camera and if it doesn't work then you know that there is something else wrong with your video system and the dealer will have to get involved. That way you don't have to pay the dealer just to tell you that the camera is bad. For anyone else with this issue just know that we will return the camera if your problem ends up being something other than a faulty factory camera. That way you're not stuck with a replacement camera that you didn't need.

If it was the camera then you just saved a boat load of money to spend on some other cool accessories from camera-source.com

Take care!
camera-source.com
888-844-9763
Old 07-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead because my 2010 XLT has a bad flicker and the guide lines are no longer there. It worked a little after punching the rear emblem lol, but went back to flickering after a week. Thought it to be a connection issue at first, but hopefully it's the camera. Would the camera malfucntioning make the guidelines disappear as well? Ordered an OEM replacement on eBay for $110 shipped. We will see how
It goes!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey... I have a 2010 and had this issue. The people at Camera Source could not have been nicer. They have a plug and play solution.

2008-14 F150 Flex Plug & Play Replacement Camera Module
SKU: CS-FTRa-MOD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup camera flashing