Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Auxiliary Transmission Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary Transmission Pump Failure

Hello Everyone!

Recently I got the wrench icon. Brought it in and they replaced the aux tranny pump. It's been about 3 weeks but i notice some slight changes. When accelerating from a stop light or something, with or without the autostop, the truck seems sluggish. I mean ever so slightly - like I am nit picking when I say it. I thought it was in my head but I am watching my gas mileage. I used to get a steady 19-22 mpg (i live in hilly San Francisco) but now I get 18-19. My question is, does this seem normal for this repair? Thoughts?

2015 F150 XLT - 2.7 ecoboost - 15K miles.
oh - and its black and chrome. That's important, right?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Keith,
I got wrenched too at 8440 miles on my new 2016 F150 XLT yesterday. Seems the Auxiliary Transmission Pump is also the culprit. The dealer explained that this is quite the common occurrence with the 2.7's because of the auto start/stop. I don't use mine and disable the option when I get in the vehicle. I'm just disappointed that I even had to address the issue after only 6 months of ownership. Gas mileage is great, 22-24 mpg! No hills in Florida
Old 11-29-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

The 6R80 transmission wasn't designed from scratch with the intent to be used with Start/Stop mode. The addition of the aux pump (only on the 2.7) must have a been a bit of an afterthought and not as robustly implemented as it should have been. There seem to be a significant number of failures of this pump.

This configuration is still being sold in 2017 with the 2.7liter engine.
I wonder if the new 3.5l (that has start/stop) with the 10 speed transmission will also have some of these issues or if the 10 speed was designed with this feature in mind.