Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Anyone ever had backup sensors die when roads are snowy?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 PM
Tea Dumper

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Anyone ever had backup sensors die when roads are snowy?

So my 2013's backup sensors have always functioned flawlessly until about a month ago when we started getting a lot of snow. One day the beautiful "Check parking assist" notice came up, and when I went out I found that the bumper was full of slush that had frozen up over the wiring. Once it all melted away they worked again, but now pretty much every time I drive in the snow I can be sure that the sensors won't work the next time I put it in reverse. After drying out they work again. I've checked all the wires and connectors and they seem to be just fine, and when they don't work I've tried the trick where you throw the truck in reverse with the e-brake on and then go to the back to feel for vibration in the sensors or listen up close for a ticking noise. I've never felt or heard anything back there, so I'm not sure which sensor it is.

Even if I did find the right sensor, for the life of me I can't find the right part number for a replacement. The Ford Parts website always gives me a part number for earlier model years that according to reviewers don't fit my year truck.

Any advice/ideas?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Is it truly because they are wet or that they are covered in snow or slush?

My Explorer has the parking assist front and rear and they have always seemed to work fine until this morning when I backed into a spot at work and put the back end into the snow bank without any warning from the system. I assume that if the sensors are covered the system eventually "gives up" knowing that they're blocked and not give you a constant tone when you shift into reverse.

I'll confirm that this afternoon because the snow is melting and the sensors "should" be functional if my theory is correct.

Anybody else with background on this?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

My 2016 did something like this a few days ago. Freaked out when below freezing, seemed to work once above.

I pulled the tail light out and popped the connector apart. Turns out water had made it's way into the connector. Most likley from a car wash I had gone through recently.

Not much, just a few droplets.

What I figure was happening was the water would freeze and make the contacts inside the connector, causing the system to freak out and give a constant tone when in reverse.

I blew the water out with dry compressed air and it's been fine since.

Different years and different trucks but it's a quick and easy check....
Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Front sensors on my Explorer freaked out in December. Then I realized it was because I strapped on the Christmas wreath on it's nose the night before . . .
Old 02-03-2017, 11:56 PM
Tea Dumper

Originally Posted by chickenwire
Is it truly because they are wet or that they are covered in snow or slush?
That was actually the first thing I checked when it very first happened, and while the sensors were wet on the outside, there was no mud or slush up against them, so it's got to be something with the wiring.

Originally Posted by Great white
My 2016 did something like this a few days ago. Freaked out when below freezing, seemed to work once above.

I pulled the tail light out and popped the connector apart. Turns out water had made it's way into the connector. Most likley from a car wash I had gone through recently.

Not much, just a few droplets.

What I figure was happening was the water would freeze and make the contacts inside the connector, causing the system to freak out and give a constant tone when in reverse.

I blew the water out with dry compressed air and it's been fine since.

Different years and different trucks but it's a quick and easy check....
See mine doesn't give any tones at all, it just shuts the system off completely. Thankfully though the snow has finally let up (we're at about 200% snow pack this year), and I haven't had an issue for over a week now. I assume that it is something similar to your situation, where water's just getting up in there and freezing.

If it happens in the future I'll pull it into the shop and blow out the connectors. Unless of course they're buried in ice, which might still very well happen.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Fingers crossed that it behaves a little better in the future!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Tea Dumper

Quick update. It has nothing do to with the cold, and everything to do with moisture. Must be something exposed somewhere. It's been a little warmer here lately, and on rainy days it starts acting up again. Very annoying, cause it will work for 5 seconds, stop and say "check park assist", work, stop... It can't make up its mind whether it wants to work or not. I'm planning on painting the bumpers soon, when I take them off I'll have a good look back there.

Search this Thread