Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Any suggestions? Transmission issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions? Transmission issue.

1998 f150 4.6L engine with 108Km's. Was driving in heavy rain, put truck into reverse and then drive when I heard a loud "whistling" sound. It would go away when I put the truck into park. Slowly drove home and truck was studdering when in 1st and 2nd gears somewhat.

Next day, everything was seemed fine, transmission would shift smoothly through all the gears, however, the day after, I found it wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd gear....would rev high as if it was in neutral. The transmission fluid is cherry red and doesn't smell burnt. Any suggestions on what it may? A transmission rebuild??

Last edited by kwik; 11-19-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: revise title
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Sounds like you lost the torque converter. They can go all at once. The trans usually starts showing symptoms over a period of time before it breaks. I would start by dropping the pan and look for fine pieces.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying Marc. I will definately look at torque converter. Just my luck with such low mileage on truck.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions? Transmission issue.