Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Another Blower Saga ('99 f150)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Blower Saga ('99 f150)

just bought a '99 f150 (2wd) w/ 200k for $1k. so not a bad deal.

so the blower wasn't working, except for one day when it magically turned on, and of course, only worked in the 'high' setting.

so i ordered a blower motor resistor, having taking the old one out and it was corroded to all hell.

swapped the new one in today and no dice on the the blower working.

i can hear the relay clicking when i switch from 'off' to 'panel', etc.

i did note that when i was fiddling with the wiring harness to the resistor i could hear something shorting faintly (electrical crackling)..but wasn't 100% sure it just wasn't the sticker/labeling being crunchy.

so i've got a new wiring harness on order as well a new blower motor, since it wasn't all that expensive.

decided to go ahead and pull the old blower motor, just for laughs.

and what i found was that water had leaked into the blower motor, i can reach up into the housing and feel moisture as well.

so it's definitely being replaced. the motor was rusted.

the windshield seal looks good, but what i did find was that the screw cover for the wiper cowl on the passenger side was missing, is that enough to let the water in i'm seeing?

will plugging that up keep this from happening again?

also, it was a p.i.t.a to get the blower motor out with the padding in the foot well, will cutting that out give me a fighting chance of getting the new one in?

i just don't want to start cutting stuff if the right answer is to pull out the dash or what have you.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Ore generation of trucks have been prone to leak on that side of the dash. Sometimes it's the glass and other times it's the fire wall in the engine compartment. You can use a hard nylon spatula and peel up the rubber outer windshield seal and get some silicone under it. You might check your local glass shop for an R&R price with a new seal. Also,make sure you don't have a small leak in the "heater core"

Quick Reply: Another Blower Saga ('99 f150)