Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Air Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake manifold

I had to replace my air intake manifold the other day due to the fact that it got a crack. This is the second time in 4 years I have had to replace it. The first time I had it happen I took it to Pepboys and it cost me $2500 in the end. This time I had a mechanic do it that I know and trust and because I really didnt feel like doing it myself . It only cost me $600 to have it fixed this time and he was of the opinion that Pepboys didnt use a new part or the correct replacement since the problem was a known issue . It just makes me mad of having to replace that same part after 4 years and to think I paid $2500 for shoddy work from a supposed professional business.....And it is also beyond me why Ford mad the thing out of plastic to begin with....
Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Lesson learned? Why would a real trained mechanic work at Pep boys or any of those types of shops. I would never let one of them touch my truck. Course I don't hardly trust anyone anyhow, so I might be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Its not a regular plastic per-say, its a special composite and 99% of the manufacturers use it now for intakes. Its lighter, doesn't heat soak and is cheaper. There were some flaws in the first few years of them being used but most have overcome it and they last longer than the engines do now.

However, proper torque and installation is CRITICAL, If your mechanic is as good as you say I doubt you'll have an issue again.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM

I don't even know what the manifold in question looks like, but when it cracks, what are the symptoms?? And, is the crack anything that could possibly be fixed using JB weld? Is the crack easily visible?

Quick Reply: Air Intake manifold