Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Air filter disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air filter disconnected

Last week I have my 2014 5L in for an oil change and didn't notice for a few days that they had not connected the air filter (it was just sitting loose in the engine bay).

The truck sounded amazing, but I am now afraid of the damage done during the ~400 km of city driving without a filter in place. The truck has ~91,000 km on it now.

When I called the shop to tell them what happened they didn't seem to care. It was only by my force that he took down my information and spoke with the tech who did the work.

What damage have I done? What should I demand the shop to do?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Damage? None.

What was the reason they gave for disconnecting it?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checking to see if it was dirty, then they didn't put anything back together I assume.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:06 AM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Truck sounded nice because its airflow wasn't being restricted by the filter and box. Wonder if they were trying to get you to come back in for maint or just lazy/stupid techs.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

This was not jiffy lube was it ?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

This is why you do your own oil changes people. The poor Technical School failures and drop outs working in Lube Shops for peanuts do not know or care about your vehicle or if they are doing a good job.

DIY its simple and you can see with your own eyes that is was done correctly. At the very least pop the hood before you drive away from the place and check the oil and make sure the oil fill cap is re installed. Let the truck idle for a while and make sure its not suddenly leaking oil. I would never blindly trust one of those shysters. God only knows what they are really dumping into your engine vs what you paid for anyway.

Its doubtful any real damage was done to your engine in that short a period of time unless you were driving through really dusty conditions. If you suck too much dust into the engine it will lead to piston ring, cylinder wall wear. A lot of boats don't even run proper air filters, no dust on the water.

Quick Reply: Air filter disconnected