Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Air compressor?

Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Air compressor?

So I was changing the brake fluid on my truck a couple weekends ago with a vacuum bleeder which got me thinking the compressor I have could be quieter and have more cfm output. I currently have a home depot husky 13 gal 4.8cfm-90psi 125psi max compressor. My garage is small so It has to be under 3' tall or a horizontal tank to slide under my work bench.

The California air compressor would be nice because it's a small footprint, quiet and flows more than my existing compressor.
https://www.kmstools.com/california-...mpressor-93345

The other option I was looking at is an oil lubricated compressor. A bit louder than the CA but the tank is bigger. I'm not super keen on buying Princess Auto brand stuff though.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...or/A-p8474991e

To be honest, the compressor I have will run my impact without issue, and I can get away with blowing things down, but things like the vacuum bleeder, ratchet and small angle grinder are almost too much for it.

Dry vs oil lubricated? I'm kind of leaning towards something like the CA 10 gal. Pricing is kinda crazy since the CAD went into the crapper.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I bought an Ingersoll/Rand garage mate. 5.5 cfm, 20 gallon. Not cheap but definitely a quality product. It is rated for continuous duty cycle if you use the synthetic oil (included.) Quieter than the oilless variety.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Why don't you put the compressor outside behind the garage and pipe the air in via pvc pipe? The last shop I worked at had theirs installed that way and noise was never an issue. You can always build a cheap lean-to over it for protection from rain/snow etc or even a little enclosure you can insulate so your neighbors won't be bothered.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Why don't you put the compressor outside behind the garage and pipe the air in via pvc pipe? The last shop I worked at had theirs installed that way and noise was never an issue. You can always build a cheap lean-to over it for protection from rain/snow etc or even a little enclosure you can insulate so your neighbors won't be bothered.
Always a good idea if you can pull it off. But if you do enclose it make sure it has enough ventilation to keep things from over heating. (Not as big of an issue with smaller units and if your duty cycle isn't that long.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air compressor?