Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

AC troubles

Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default AC troubles

Now that it is getting warm I decided to check out why I had no cold air from My A/C system. I naturally figured it had lost it charge so I got a can of 134a and endeavored to check the charge, turns out that was ok. However the problem was plain to see the electric clutch was not engaging. I didn't have the time to do a complete run down of what is going on but I suspect the EM coil on the clutch is not getting any electricity. Checked the fuse inside the cab and it is ok. I have to find out what is what in the power distribution box inside the engine compartment. Can any of you give me any advice as to where there might be a trouble area in this system. I have all of the equipment to track down the problem but if I can get some info to help expedite the fix I would be most thankful.

Last edited by transmaster; 05-09-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM

I just looked at my manual and it has Zip nada about this power distribution box. does anyone have a low-down what is what in this box. On my 1995 it is located on the top of the drivers side inside fender. The lid does not tell what fuse or relay does what.

Last edited by transmaster; 05-08-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:38 AM

Answered my own question: below is a link to where you can down load the owner's manuals for 1996-2009 Ford F150-350 trucks in PDF, and best of all they are free . I found the information I was looking for on the power distribution box.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

I found this real nice tutorial on replacing A/C compressor clutches. You will see the compressor is a
older Frigidaire, or like unit, but the clutch part is virtually the same.

http://bernardembden.com/xjs/comclutch/index.htm

Last edited by transmaster; 05-09-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to make sure you have 12v to the compressor clutch, if you do and it doesnt engage then its prob the coil inside the clutch, they are pretty common
Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM

I am almost hoping it is the coil much easier to fix then trying to track an electrical fault.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hows it going?

Now that you have checked all of the fuses, before I did anything else, I would disconnect the wire clip from the coil on the compressor and use a voltmeter to find out if I have 12V at the clip when the engine is running and the a/c on. If you se 12V, you've more than likely got a bad clutch coil. All it is is an electromagnet and they go bad pretty often. Good luck bud.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by transformertester
Now that you have checked all of the fuses, before I did anything else, I would disconnect the wire clip from the coil on the compressor and use a voltmeter to find out if I have 12V at the clip when the engine is running and the a/c on. If you se 12V, you've more than likely got a bad clutch coil. All it is is an electromagnet and they go bad pretty often. Good luck bud.
In have determined I have a clogged orifice tube which means to whole system has to come appart. I need to get a vacuum pump plus and a manafold gauge set for 134A. All I presently have is a setup for the old Cadillacs I used to have and they where R12 systems. The Vacuum pump was a jury rigged mess I gave away. New Vacuum pumps are not horriably expensive. When it is cold there is not much of modivation to fix it, we are talking lazy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC troubles