Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

98 F150 Power window problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 F150 Power window problems

Howdy!

First off, just joined this site after deciding (or better yet financially realizing) that I need to keep the old truck running for a few more years, so I have decided to begin repair on some of the issues I have with my truck.

I don’t do a lot of mechanical repairs, but believe that I can tackle many of them myself, so I thought I would start small and work my way up with a little expert advice from you guys of course!

First issue that I want to fix is my window for my passenger side door.

Problem: Window stopped working (the window will not operate from either switch). I have searched around and read that I should listen for noise when the button is pressed. I have tried this and hear no noise in the door panel, or elsewhere (I think I read I should be listening for a clicking noise).
When the button is pressed, the interior light dims, but the window doesn’t move.

Should I look at the switch? Is the driver side switch a “master switch” that if there is a problem with it, neither will work?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both swithches should be on the same circuit,if your light dims when you pree the button then the switch sounds like it is working. you;re probaly gonna have to replace the window motor, which can be a pain because most are pop rivoted in, causing you to have to drill the rivots out. get a test light and take your door panel off, follow the wire leading from the switch it will lead to the motor. remove the plug and using your test light and someone to push the window button, test the pins in the plug. one will be a ground so it will not light up the test light but if you get the test light to light up on the other pins, pressing up and down, then the problem is in the window motor

Quick Reply: 98 F150 Power window problems