Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

98 4.2 Turn's over but won't start. PLEASE HELP.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 4.2 Turn's over but won't start. PLEASE HELP.

My 1998 F-150 with the 4.2 v-6, just stopped running. Was driving normally then just quit. The truck is in very good condition(other than it wont start), 120,xxx miles, serviced regularly, well treated and never any damage or major maintenance issues ever until now. I wasn't getting fuel flow out of the fuel filter, so I replaced it. No luck. So then I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump( it appeares to have been the original one date stamped 7/1997), no luck. Changed the pump relay at the fuse box in the cab, still no luck, wont start. Seems like not getting power to the pump because I can't here it prime, but my test light says power to the relay plug-in. I checked the Maxi-fuse under the hood for anything fuel related and the pcm fuse, though I'm not completly sure, because of differences between the printed locations of the fuses and what is actually there. I get spark at the spark plug(only checked one though), so now what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 AM

Check mass air flow sensor or sometimes call air flow meter located intake tube
Old 08-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Check the fuel pressure regulator for vacuum. Did you forget anything when changing the fuel pump?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 4.2 Turn's over but won't start. PLEASE HELP.