Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

98' 4.2 L Temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98' 4.2 L Temp sensor

I just wrecked my 92' F150 on an icy road and bought a 1998 F150 extended cab with a 4.2L V6. I have been working on all of the maintenance issues not fixed before I owned it. After buying it I found that the former owner must have changed the engine. (I could tell certain bolts were recently torqued on and other things) Anyway, the temp gauge takes a long time to move off of the "cold". I started looking and it seems that the sensor is tucked down under the coolant hose at the T-stat housing and electrical taped to the hose. I was looking around trying to find where it should have gone, and I can't see a spot. There is a sensor on the driver side top of the intake manifold, and from what the manual says is for computer temp information. Is it possible that the engine they put in my truck doesn't have a spot in the intake manifold for this gauge sensor? I really want to reapir this somehow. I thought about tapping a hole in the T-stat housing but the temp wouldn't be right until the T-stat opened. Anyone have any input to send me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

Quick Reply: 98' 4.2 L Temp sensor