Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

96 Ignition switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 96 Ignition switch problem

A week of so ago I go to start the rig and the key lock rotates smoothly (as in not the way it's supposed to work -- no accessory, off, run or start detents). Relying on Occam's Razor I say to myself "key lock". Pick one up on way home from work. Install it and 'voila!' -- same problem. Okay, switch has gotta be fubar, right? Dig it out from under steering column and find that it is in fine shape and works just like it should, start the rig, springs back to run possition and all that. Using all my wisdom I come to two conclusions: Occam had his head up his *** and (the point of this) there is a mechanical linkage between the key lock and the ignition switch inside the upper steering column that needs attending. My Chilton manual only talks about the key lock and the switch. I haven't been able to find an exploded view of the column. Anyone have experience with this problem or any thing else that involves disassembly of the upper column? Can it be fixed by just pulling the steering wheel or do I have to drop the column? Thanks in advance for any help.

96 F150, 5.0L, automatic, two wheel drive, non-tilt steering.

Quick Reply: 96 Ignition switch problem