Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

94 F150 xlt 5.8l - Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 F150 xlt 5.8l - Noob question

Hey folks, first time to this site and first time owner of my 94 F150. I have couple of questions actually but I'll take it one at a time for now. Best I can tell I'm getting about 12 miles per gallon. No modifications have been done to the Engine and the truck is lifted a couple of inches and has a little bit bigger tires. Is this about normal for gas milage and what are some things I could do to improve my milage.

I'm getting ready to drive from Phoenix to Indiana and would appreciate any feedback I can get about how to get the most out of my gas mileage.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by balihome; 05-27-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM

I'm getting ready to leave on a trip to Indiana from Arizona and would really appreciate any feedback on how to get the most out of my gas mileage. Any websites or something that someone can point me towards?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are we sure we know where we are going? Seemed to me a controversy. Best advice hope for a tail wind, and which ever direction, hope its downhill.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm not quite sure what controversy your talking about, I'm driving from Arizona to Indiana. But that isn't what I'm getting at. I guess I'm just curious if 12 mpg is about par for the engine I have. I guess that is a good place for me to start.
Like I mentioned in my first post, I'm a first time truck owner so I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

12 mpg does sound a little low, not by much mind you. Have your OBD1 codes read and see if you need a new O2 sensor.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Thank you sir, will do
Old 05-31-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Try a can of SeaFoam in the gas tank (available from local Walmart for around $8) will clean the fuel delivery system and clean carbon build-up from the valves and combustion chambers, helping with efficient combustion (better mileage), and try a clean air filter (or even a cold air intake with washable filter from K&N or Volant, etc.) then change to fully synthetic oil to reduce power robbing (and mileage robbing) friction. You can go one further and change transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and rear end gear oil to synthetics for the same reason. A less restrictive exhaust than stock will also make it easier for the engine to breathe which will in turn improve mileage...as long as you can keep your foot out of it since it will run better and sound better. Last but not least, don't ride around on under-inflated tires. Suggestions may seem expensive but you'll make your money back in mileage improvement and reduced wear which will extend life of engine, trans., and rear.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM

Your mileage seems right. I have the same truck and it is lifted 2 inches with 35 inch tires and i get the same mileage.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, all I did was get the oil changed before leaving and then put some treatment in the tank when I filled it up for the trip and I actually averaged 15.5 mpg on the highway all the way from Phoenix to Indiana. I was happy with that seeing how the gas has been going up.

Thanks for all the replies...

Quick Reply: 94 F150 xlt 5.8l - Noob question