Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

'93 f150 straight 6 greenish sludge in recovering tank

Old 12-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '93 f150 straight 6 greenish sludge in recovering tank

hi group.
i am concerned with greenish sludge in coolant recovering tank.The sludge looking stuff is on the inside walls of the reserve tank.
i also had whitish sludge inside the oil cap. I don't think i am loosing any coolant. i just got a new recovering tank to replace my old one. the right side mount is broke and i have the tank zipped tied.. i have notice coolant coming out of the cap of the recovering tank. i think it is due to the tank not being secure enough.that is why i ordered a new one.

Thanks for any help!!
Danny in Ohio
Old 12-03-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary necessarily. Over time, coolant degrades and allows the cooling system to rust and break down. You should do a cooling system flush as well. If there's sludge in your recovery tank, it's probably everywhere else too. As for the junk on your oil cap, it's most likely from the cold weather. Cylinders don't seal 100%. Blow by gases will get into your oil. Water is part of combustion gases. As long as there are no other concerns, it sounds like a couple of fluid changes are all ya need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '93 f150 straight 6 greenish sludge in recovering tank