Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

93 F150 idles hard and shutters in drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 F150 idles hard and shutters in drive

Yesterday I went to work, only to sit in my truck and wait for half of the day.. It was pretty cold outside, so I was idling in park with the heat on (I just replaced the heater core 2 weeks ago). I noticed the truck was idling at 900 rpm, and usually it idles at 750 rpm or so. Then, the boss asked me to run to town, 100 miles away, and pick up some stuff with my truck (seven 5 gallon buckets of antifreeze). On the way to town I noticed my truck using more gas than normal, and a loss of power. I went into walmart and when I came out and started my truck, it was Idling hard and the whole truck would shutter when I gave it gas. I went to o'riely's and borrowed their code reader and it said vehicle not responding .. My cigarette lighter doesn't work, even with a new fuse, so thats why the code reader didn't work. I let the truck idle for 30 minutes at oriely's and it smoothed outa bit, but when I drove it across town to park it at my aunts house, it was back to hard idling and shuttering. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks in advance

Last edited by sneekypete; 11-20-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Vacuum leak? It's really hard to speculate without a code or codes to give you somewhat of a starting point, and we're on the internet and not standing at the truck, which makes it worse.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my truck to a shop and they said it was the harmonic balancer. They replaced it and charged me $468.00!!! I think that's pretty steep, I checked at oriely's and the part is $60.00 but they charged me $136.00 for it!! I needed it for work, so I just paid it and left--but is there any online sources for ASE book time for that repair? They also charged my $98 for a diagnostic check, but the reader was not working at oriely's?!?! What ever you do, DO NOT TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO ROUGHNECK MOTORS IN MINOT ND!!!!! At first they tried to charge me OVER $900.00 for a bunch of things I didn't even ask them to do, then when I said I didn't need the extra crap done the guy told me $460.00.... Then, when I called before I went to pick the truck up the same guy (Reggie) told me $589.00!!! I set him straight and he adjusted the price back to $488.00, so I said whatever Ill be down... They tried to charge me for a new serpentine belt, which I just replaced 2 weeks ago, and I called BS on that, so that's how the price came back down to $468.00...

Quick Reply: 93 F150 idles hard and shutters in drive