Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

9.75 diff questions R&R

Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9.75 diff questions R&R

O.K so I know my diff is shot and I got a new one cheap (stock). I also know the stock units are junk but I just have to make last 20,xxxx more miles or so untill my wifes suv is paid for and I can trade my truck in. It's a 2000 f150 4x4 is there any tricks or some thing I need to be aware of when removing the axels and installing a new ring and pinion gears in the housing. I havent bought one but will have a master rebuild kit on hand. I figured some of you may have tackeled this job and would know what part of the job is "the real B$tch of it". Thanx any pointers are greatly apprecieted I will be removing the old diff installing the old ring gear on the diff and reinstalling back into the old housing
Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Needless to say I am confused! I think you are going to remove the ring gear from the carrier, replace the carrier and reassemble. Setting up differentials is alot more than replacing parts. You might think twice about this project.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I'm sorry my ring gear is ok but the clutch packs are shot. I had a good carier practilly given to me. I know how to make sure the pinion is not running too deep or too shallow or running on its toe or heels. I am assuming it should go together like any other rear end rebuild but just wanted to be sure there wasnt any special tools or anything that I should have on hand .

thanx
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If thats the case then you should be able to use the same shims in the same place and be pretty close.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9.75 diff questions R&R