Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

88 F150 heater core

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 F150 heater core

Hi everyone-I new here, and I was referred to this site by a friend. This will probably seem like a dumb question, but here goes.

My 88 has taken to leaving a puddle of coolant on the passenger side floorboard after medium to long trips. I assume its the heater core. How big a job is this ? Its a 6 cyl, w/AC. In the past, I've done some that are a 30 minute jobs, and some that were an absolute nightmare (82 fairmont wagon comes to mind!!)

If its a matter of removing the glovebox and the case, no problem. But if the whole dash has to come out, and the column dropped, I may just have my mechanic do it. I don't want to start on it and find out I'm in over my head.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site - always like to see owners of the older model years come on board.

The heater core is an easy job on our generation truck.

Remove the glovebox, just pop the two tabs and the restraining cable - the heater core access door is right there - about 9 screws to remove, and you're looking right at the core with a clear, unobstructed path to remove through the glove box opening. Takes me about as much time to round up and put up the tools as it does to change out.

Suggest to take a good look at replacement cores. Found that the 'budget' core, while the same physical size, did not produce the heat as the higher-dollar one. Holding the cores up to the light and looking through the fins, saw that the budget core had about 1/3 of the area blocked off, resulting in poor heat and defrost performance.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Thanks WDE-exactly what I was wondering, and exactly what I was hoping to hear !! Like I said, I've "dove right in" to some in the past that turned out to be absolute nightmares, and I thought I'd check it out first.

I'll also take your advice and avoid the discount replacement-over the years I've learned (usually the hard way)that the old saying is true-you really do "get what you pay for"

Thanks again for your input-its much appreciated and I will put it to good use!!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Quick Reply: 88 F150 heater core