Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

$850 for a corroded cable connection!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $850 for a corroded cable connection!

I have a 2000 4.6 liter F150. The other day it just clicked when trying to start. I did a search here and read many threads explaining the same problem with no one resolution. I brought the truck to my dealer and they quited me $850.00 for replacing the positive battery cable and starter. Now the starter is OK but they said there is corrosion on the connections and it must be replaced. I do not do my own work on this engine but told them NO. Why can't these connections just be cleaned?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealers do not perform "simple parts" repairing, like cleaning wires or rebuilding an alternator, at least in Russia. It's much more simple for them to replace it.

They can be cleaned, and they will last almost as long as new wire would.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

DO NOT take it to the dealer unless its under warranty. im assuming yours is out so, take it to a reputable shop around town and have them clean the connectors and replace the battery wiring. thats more around $200 parts and labor. (im guessing/ trying to remember how much it cost me)
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 PM

I don't know how different the positive cable is on the 2000 as opposed to the 1994, but it didn't cost me much to buy a new cable and starter (right around $100.00), and only took me maybe 30 minutes to replace both. Pretty easy, straight-forward job. I save my repair money for stuff like blown head gaskets, and what not.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

If it is clicking when it starts, try using a screwdriver and jump the solenoid on the firewall. If it clicks again, then it is your starter. If you keep turning the key from the run to the start position numerous times, I bet your truck will start. If that is the case, def. your starter.

Can explain in more detail if needed...

Quick Reply: $850 for a corroded cable connection!