Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

5.4l 3v cam and lifters- now p0171!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 5.4l 3v cam and lifters- now p0171!!!!

I had a loud taping on the passenger side. I got it apart and the last rocker had several flats and was frozen. The cam was spalled on the same intake. I changed the filter (oil was changed 700 miles ago and filter and oil showed signs of metal) and ran it for 20 miles and changed the oil to 5-20 synthetic and a ford filter. I drove 50 miles and now the car stumbles at times and just through a p0171 code! I checked for leaks and can't find any. There is a small line that runs into the back of the engine and has some kind of round plug with a hole in it that I can't find where it goes, but this was there before. I now have another milder knock in the same area starting. Is the lifter oil plugged, is the valve to the phaser hanging and causing the ruff at time running? Any suggestions at what to look for? Noises and ruff running - what to look for and what's next!!!!
Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amtpdb1
I had a loud taping on the passenger side. I got it apart and the last rocker had several flats and was frozen. The cam was spalled on the same intake. I changed the filter (oil was changed 700 miles ago and filter and oil showed signs of metal) and ran it for 20 miles and changed the oil to 5-20 synthetic and a ford filter. I drove 50 miles and now the car stumbles at times and just through a p0171 code! I checked for leaks and can't find any. There is a small line that runs into the back of the engine and has some kind of round plug with a hole in it that I can't find where it goes, but this was there before. I now have another milder knock in the same area starting. Is the lifter oil plugged, is the valve to the phaser hanging and causing the ruff at time running? Any suggestions at what to look for? Noises and ruff running - what to look for and what's next!!!!
Thanks
No one responded to my question! The answer was that I replaced all the coils and all is well. Found all 8 coils on Amazon for just under 40.00 delivered.

Quick Reply: 5.4l 3v cam and lifters- now p0171!!!!