Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

5.4 oil filter

Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 oil filter

i've always used the specified motorcraft. now i want to start using the over the top style filter removal tool. it only seems to fit the fram. the fram claims to filter 3 times better. i'm worried that it may be too restrictive on cold starts not allowing oil up to the top of the engine fast as the specified filter. what do you guys think?? what filter do most of you use? thanks for feedback.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I've only heard bad things about the Fram filters. I use the K&N oil filter. It's basically the same as the motorcraft but has a 1" nut on the end to help get it on and off.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would stick with the MC. If you use anything else, especially Fram you are asking for problems.

Kev
Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM

ive been using ac delco i know its a bad word but i get them cheap as my father in-law is parts and service manager for a chevy dealer and they are a good filter and relatively cheap $ wise that is
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

ive always used kn filters.... i have had great luck out of them... i would not use a fram ...if they paid me to use them.... i had a bad fram filter almost ruin one of my old cars... and since then i started looking as to what people have said about them and its nothing but trash
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Mobil 1. never a fram.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Motorcraft only, here's why:

Special service messages
21049 1997-2010 multiple vehicle - 4.6l/5.4l - engine ticking and/or rattle noise
multiple vehicle lines with 4.6l or 5.4l engine may experience an engine ticking or rattle noise that sounds like a stuck tappet (hla). This
may be due to the deterioration of an aftermarket oil filter. Vehicles with this condition have low oil pressure at one cylinder head
only, while main pressures are normal. Dislodged material from the aftermarket oil filter blocks the cam cap oil passage, either at
cylinder #4 (right bank rear) or cylinder #5 (left bank front). For vct equipped engines, inspect the vct valve body and the oil passages
under the first cam cap. Damage to engines caused by aftermarket oil filters are not covered under warranty.
Effective date: 10/22/2009
Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORB8
Motorcraft only, here's why:

Special service messages
21049 1997-2010 multiple vehicle - 4.6l/5.4l - engine ticking and/or rattle noise
multiple vehicle lines with 4.6l or 5.4l engine may experience an engine ticking or rattle noise that sounds like a stuck tappet (hla). This
may be due to the deterioration of an aftermarket oil filter. Vehicles with this condition have low oil pressure at one cylinder head
only, while main pressures are normal. Dislodged material from the aftermarket oil filter blocks the cam cap oil passage, either at
cylinder #4 (right bank rear) or cylinder #5 (left bank front). For vct equipped engines, inspect the vct valve body and the oil passages
under the first cam cap. Damage to engines caused by aftermarket oil filters are not covered under warranty.
Effective date: 10/22/2009
X2....Motorcraft only...you can buy them at Walmart very inexpensive...5W-20 Motorcraft oil too
Old 03-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Rok

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

That service message may be for Fram filters. Im sorry but Bosch, Purolator, K&N (a lil pricey), Mobil 1, Napa gold to name a few are excellent filters. Any filter made by Wix is a safe bet. If you have any doubts swing over to bobistheoilguy.com and you will find tones of good info as far as oil and filters. I recommend Pennzoil Platinum for oil. Any of the above mentioned filters will do. But Bosch and Purolator are very good and are on the cheaper price side.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any filter made by Champ labs will work for the application.That is who makes the Motorcraft filters.

These include the Mobil 1,K&N,Royal Purple,Bosch and Purolator.

Now if you don't like the grippy stuff on the Purolator Pure One, get the Bosch in the the black can.....Same media.

Also,the Amosil EAO filter works well for our application and that is made for Amsoil by Donaldson.

That TSB posted earlier is not name dropping on the filters,but it is in reference to any filter that does not have a silicone anti-drain back valve which will include the Fram,Supertech,etc.

Without the silicone constructed drain valve,the valve will degrade and cause issues with the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 oil filter