Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4x4 problem or user error?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 problem or user error?!?!?!

Hello!!

I have a 2007 f150 XLT 4x4 with about 57k miles. I have owned the truck for about 3 months and have absolutely loved it. This past weekend I decided to take her on some trails up in northern Michigan while I was camping. I turned on the 4 high and went romping. All was great until I hit some thick sand. Got it stuck and I was getting it out I noticed the front wheels were not spinning in place like the rear wheels were. When it did move it was pushing sand in the front wheels. When we got it out and onto flatter ground I wanted to have a buddy give it hard on the gas to see if all 4 tires spin but we only saw the back ones spin. I hear the transfer case when I flip the **** to 4 high but why weren't the front wheels spinning?!?! Is there some sort of lock out function or traction control thing I'm missing?? I hope this is not a problem?? Looking forward to this winter I want to make sure it's all good? Is there something I'm missing here?? THANKS IN ADVANCE U GUYS ROCK!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 AM

Hello iceman,

your truck has a vacuum operated front 4x4 hub system. the front IWE system has a vacuum solenoid that holds vacuum on the front hubs to keep them in 2wd if you were to lose vacuum then it will lock the front hubs in. you can check this by disconnecting the vacuum line from the solenoid. If your 4wd works after disconnecting the vacuum line then chances are you need to replace the vacuum solenoid. You can also check for a blown fuse (this should probably be done first). There is a lot of info on here and the web just search 2007 F150 IWE and you will find all kinds of useful information. I hope this helps
Old 07-13-2016, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading a lot about the IWE system and from my symptoms it seems like its probably only a solenoid issue. Is there a way to test to isolate the problem to the solenoid? In other words if I replace the solenoid how will I know the system is fully functional?
Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 10:10 PM

I found this on another site http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html This helped me out on my truck. If im not suppose to post this i appologize i am only trying to help iceman.

Quick Reply: 4x4 problem or user error?!?!?!