Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4X4 not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4X4 not working

I was on my way to work and I noticed my "****" for going from 2H to 4H to 4L was set at 4H meaning I should have been running in 4WD in High. However there was no light on on the dash and I didnt feel any difference in steering that would indicate I was actually in 4. I turned the **** back and still nothing.

Not sure how to remedy this, what type of issue it could be. The only thing I have found in my brief research is the solonoid may be "sticky" from not using the 4WD over the summber and to tap it lightly with a malet, I would love to try that but honeslty I dont know where that is.

Otherwise to my understanding I could be having issues with the vacuum/small motor that engages from 2WD to 4WD. Any way to test that at home?

I really want to avoid spending $ since I am looking at getting my plugs replaced very soon and thats going to put me out a bit (sadly I make darn near nothing at my job)

Any help would be appreciated. Especially photos of what I should be tapping

Last edited by chepp157; 11-14-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: mistyped/mispelling
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

You could try tapping the transfer case motor. Look at your transfer case and where the wires plug in, that is your motor. The solenoid you are taking about is on the firewall on the passenger side behind the battery. It will have vaccum lines coming from it. Don't tap it or you'll risk breaking it. The updated solenoid has a "rain guard" on top of it to deter water from getting into the solenoid.

Quick Reply: 4X4 not working