Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4WD grinding intermitting, what damage is being done

Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD grinding intermitting, what damage is being done

Hi, if my 4wd keeps trying to go in "grinding" while going down the road, what kind of damage is happening to the system? My dealer can not find the problem.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM

My truck and my father in laws truck has been doing the same this he took his and they said some hose that hooks to the front behind the wheel was loose. Mine I just wiggled and pushed in on the lines that are in the front that hooks behind the tire and it went away. Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

IWE hub ends ...$70 per side + your time to change, takes about an hour.

They either:

A) Hubs fail (seal inside does not hold vacuum)
B) Vacuum lines to hub leak
C) Solenoid on passenger side by battery fails.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 PM

I had this on my 07 and it turned out to be a short in my actuator box under the hood next to the firewall. Sorry I can't really recall the name. But when it would be damp or rain it did it the most. It sounded like ice in a blender and I could stop or slow and put it in 4 hi and it would stop. But it was a box that was shorting causing it to try and engage. Try talki g to them about that.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Before anyone can accurately answer you question we need some info about your truck like the year ect.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM

2008 STX F150 4 wheel drive. Intermitting problem. Very loud grinding "like your ice in the blender" analogy. It's coming from the wheel area sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left. I’ve even heard both sides at the same time. You hear the loud grinding like metal to metal “Very loud” and when it stops you will hear something like a set of gears slamming in to gear and you can feel it on the floor board of the truck. I can make this chattering noise go away by turning on the 4 wheel drive button.

Ford dealer con't fix it and now they want to hear it happen before they do anything else. It my not happen for days or even weeks sometimes.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Google f150 grinding noise or ice in blender sound.that's how I found out what to ask the dealer to check. This is exactly what mine was doing and it wasn't vacuum hose, it was the switch box thing
Old 11-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Go to the parts store and buy a IWE selenoid (4WD selenoid) it is on the firewall by the battery. I just changed mine and it took 10 minutes.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's either your solenoid on the firewall, a vacuum leak or bad hub actuators have it fixed soon though or you'll be putting hub assemblies in it
Old 11-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Resident Metalhead

Like many have said, start with replacing the 4x4 solenoid. My dad has an 04 FX4 and he had the same issue, the main issue was that solenoid, but by the time we figured it out (since he puts a ton of miles on per week, and he needed 4x4 most of the days during that period), the gears on the actuator had rounded down pretty good, and started allowing it to slip out of 4x4. Needed to replace the front wheel bearings anyways, so we just replaced the whole hub assembly on each side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4WD grinding intermitting, what damage is being done