Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2013 F150 feels like brakes are dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 F150 feels like brakes are dragging?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while, trying to find a solution or direction for my issue. First off, some details:

-2013 F150 SCrew XLT
-Chrome Package
-56,XXX miles

This past weekend I installed the Powerstop K3167 front brake kit to alleviate a warped rotor. Since the install it feels like the brakes are dragging...except that they aren't, at least as far as I can tell. I have no blueing, no excessive heat, no smell, and no pull from side-to-side when headed down the road. I jacked the truck up while cold, while hot, after priming the pedal, with the truck off, you name it, and the front wheels spin freely with 2-fingers worth of push. I just know my truck, and it feels like I'm pulling a slight load when I accelerate, but obviously I'm not. I haven't noticed a real difference when coasting as it doesn't seem to scrub-off speed any faster than it ever did, hence my doubt about it being brake-related. I found several instances of this where people actually had stuck calipers or had inserted the pads incorrectly (mine are installed correctly, I triple-checked that to the kit and YouTube) but nothing where the brakes seemed to be acting normally. Any help would be appreciated, and if you find another thread with a similar problem and solution I'll be glad to consult it and get rid of this one. Thanks in advance.

-Mark

Last edited by MAC67; 07-21-2016 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added mileage and coasting note.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Update on this. I found that the resistance is more pronounced if the brakes are very hot. I had to make a couple of quick stops today and I could smell them getting hot and the dragging sensation got more pronounced. It seems less severe on the interstate when the brakes aren't actively being used and are primarily being cooled. Has anyone had an issue with the pads expanding with heat and causing a dragging feeling? Still looking for answers and feedback if anyone's had a similar issue.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM

Had the same thing on a 2008 Ranger. After about 500 miles it stopped. Even with this I still think Powerstops are good brakes am in the process of putting them on my F 150 hope this helps ease your mind.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, butchr. I thought my truck had done the same thing as yesterday and the day before everything felt normal. Today on the drive home from work, I felt the resistance again. Some jerk pulled out in front of me (Atlanta drivers, ugh) and I had to brake quickly, and for about a mile after that the steering wheel shook under braking like the rotor was warped again. Jacked the truck up when I got home and, same as before, both wheels spin freely. Other than this issue, my truck has always run like clockwork. I'm also impressed with the Powerstop brakes, they make a real difference in stopping power and feel great.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC67
Thanks for the reply, butchr. I thought my truck had done the same thing as yesterday and the day before everything felt normal. Today on the drive home from work, I felt the resistance again. Some jerk pulled out in front of me (Atlanta drivers, ugh) and I had to brake quickly, and for about a mile after that the steering wheel shook under braking like the rotor was warped again. Jacked the truck up when I got home and, same as before, both wheels spin freely. Other than this issue, my truck has always run like clockwork. I'm also impressed with the Powerstop brakes, they make a real difference in stopping power and feel great.
might have a sticking caliper...
Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 PM

I wonder if it could be ABS related? Someone had a similar issue in another thread and it turned out to be a wire going to the ABS sensor. I'm going to check the connection and see how it looks tomorrow and keep researching from there. Thanks for the replies, all. I'm sure with your help I'll get it fixed eventually.

-Mark
Old 08-06-2016, 12:19 AM

Thought I should provide another update on this. I took both front assemblies apart and cleaned and regreased all the components and the wheels spin better than ever. I'm starting to think my issue is transmission related. I've noticed that the truck is shifting harder than before and it also seems to struggle to settle on a gear to be in, it jumps back and forth between 4, 5, and 6 when climbing a hill at a lower RPM. It's due for a fluid and filter change at 60k service, but I'm going to get that done early and drive it for a bit to see if it helps before I take it in. I'm running out of time to have any potential issues taken care of from a mileage standpoint as I just rolled over 57k. Has anyone had a similar issue out of their tranny? A couple of other things to note, it runs better when it's cold and it doesn't want to move under its own power of it sits for a few days (I noticed this mostly backing out of the garage, I put the truck in reverse and I have to give it quite a bit of throttle to get it moving.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC67
Thought I should provide another update on this. I took both front assemblies apart and cleaned and regreased all the components and the wheels spin better than ever. I'm starting to think my issue is transmission related. I've noticed that the truck is shifting harder than before and it also seems to struggle to settle on a gear to be in, it jumps back and forth between 4, 5, and 6 when climbing a hill at a lower RPM. It's due for a fluid and filter change at 60k service, but I'm going to get that done early and drive it for a bit to see if it helps before I take it in. I'm running out of time to have any potential issues taken care of from a mileage standpoint as I just rolled over 57k. Has anyone had a similar issue out of their tranny? A couple of other things to note, it runs better when it's cold and it doesn't want to move under its own power of it sits for a few days (I noticed this mostly backing out of the garage, I put the truck in reverse and I have to give it quite a bit of throttle to get it moving.
Get a Elm obdII USB adapter and download Forscan on a laptop. Connect vehicle, go in to system tools, and clear the transmission adaptive learning tables. Drive it nice and easy for a bit. It will shift harshly every once in awhile while the transmission relearns the shift points.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 feels like brakes are dragging?