Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2013 F150 Ecoboost Fan stuck on High in 26° Temps!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 F150 Ecoboost Fan stuck on High in 26° Temps!

I Have read hundreds of posts on this fan issue and never came across a solution.....
80,000 miles on this thing, I start it, fan goes to low for 3 seconds then goes straight to HIGH. So loud. A/C is turned OFF. Coolant level is good. Engine and Transmission are Cold.
It stays on high all day, the whole time the engine is running.

I am well aware that this is a two stage fan and I have heard it go from low to high on hot summer days above 96°, but it has been 24° here, first start in the morning it goes to HIGH. Stays on high all day. NEVER has changed to Low ONLY on start up when I can see the fan start on low and in 3 seconds switch to High... Swapped the relay with a new one and it did the same thing.
Can Anyone help me diagnose this problem??

I'm amazed that the fix for this is no where to be found.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli_Gomez
I Have read hundreds of posts on this fan issue and never came across a solution.....
80,000 miles on this thing, I start it, fan goes to low for 3 seconds then goes straight to HIGH. So loud. A/C is turned OFF. Coolant level is good. Engine and Transmission are Cold.

I am well aware that this is a two stage fan and I have heard it go from low to high on hot summer days above 96°, but it has been 24° here, first start in the morning it goes to HIGH. Stays on high all day. NEVER has changed to Low ONLY on start up when I can see the fan start on low and in 3 seconds switch to High... Swapped the relay with a new one and it did the same thing.

Check for codes. High fan speed would indicate that the PCM is seeing high engine temp or high pressure in the a/c system. Doesn't mean that it's happening. Possibly a bad sensor???
Old 01-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli_Gomez

I had this problem on my 2011 ecoboost. I posted my issue and solution over on F150Ecoboost.net.

I have since traded in that truck on a 2015 5.0.

Anyways, my issue ended up being the fan high speed relay. It had failed in the on position, so anytime the truck was running it would be fans on high. There are 2 fan relays under the hood.

I replaced the relay and everything was all good, for 2 months. Then the same problem happened again. Same relay failed.

In the end, my dual electric engine fans were slowly seizing, drawing too much power through the relay, and melting it in the on position.

I replaced relay again, along with fan assembly. I drove the truck for another year with no issues before trading it in.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by doctorschlachter; 01-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eli_Gomez (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Report after ford inspection

Ok, Dropped it off at Ford today. Asked to speak to the mechanic to let him know everything I have checked and witnessed to help him diagnose the problem. Oh by the way, the AC has been blowing Hot also...

Told him I checked Low Pressure AC line and pressure looked normal, I couldn't check High pressure line cause I didn't have equipment. Told him the AC Pop Off Valve popped and shot out AC Coolant three times on me when I remote started it. The third time was when leaving to go to the Ford Dealer. I have had the AC turned off for days now. It only pops off when I remote start it due to the truck set to Auto Climate control on remote start. Loud Pshhhht! and you can see the spray.. (Stinks, CAN'T be good for you! I know, I know). The Compressor spins at start up for like 10 seconds then stops (probably because it senses the pressure is to high). so.... I told him my guess is the Orifice Tube is clogged up...
They called and said I need a new Expansion Valve and it needs to be re vacuumed and charged of course... $694.00

I looked online and can't find out if the 2013 F150 AC uses an Orifice Tube or an Expansion Valve. To my understanding with AC's it should use one or the other..? My way of thinking; I would love to buy an expansion valve for $30 and change it myself, but then again. I don't have the equipment to vacuum and recharge. Oh well. The mechanics gotta eat too!

Let me know your knowledge on this about Orifice or Expansion. I understand what they do exactly. Just can't find anywhere that says what is used in the 2013 F150 OTHER than the mechanic saying I need a new Expansion Valve.
Thanks.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by doctorschlachter
I had this problem on my 2011 ecoboost. I posted my issue and solution over on F150Ecoboost.net.

I have since traded in that truck on a 2015 5.0.

Anyways, my issue ended up being the fan high speed relay. It had failed in the on position, so anytime the truck was running it would be fans on high. There are 2 fan relays under the hood.

I replaced the relay and everything was all good, for 2 months. Then the same problem happened again. Same relay failed.

In the end, my dual electric engine fans were slowly seizing, drawing too much power through the relay, and melting it in the on position.

I replaced relay again, along with fan assembly. I drove the truck for another year with no issues before trading it in.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply. I thought it may be that but after two days of AC powered off and NOT remote starting it, the fan ran on Low at a quiet speed. I got out to listen to it and it was running on low correctly. Got in the truck and turned on the AC and it jumped to High. Outside temp was 65° and engine was cold. So the Fan speed relay seams to be working correctly.