Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2011 Phantom Transmission Problem

Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Phantom Transmission Problem

Hi All, I am going to apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Just hoping someone/anyone has encountered similar or has advice on a solution.

2011 5.0 F150. Roughly 75k miles and I have owned over a year.

1st issue - Driving 65 mph on freeway, consistent speed, no hills. Truck drops out of 6th gear and slams back in, happens a few times then proceeds to operate properly until it does it again on a side road pulling into a parking lot.

I take it to the dealer, they can't find the issue but reprogram the tranny computer as it is out of date. They say all is good.

2nd issue - Does similar while accelerating at roughly 40-50 mph and then begins to operate properly. But this time I make it through a few stoplights and as I try to accelerate from the final one. No first gear. It wont go anywhere. It just revs up like the tranny is smoked.. I put the shifter down into 1 (not manual shift mode selecter), and get it moving enough to get out of traffic. Put it back in D and suddenly its shifting again.

Back to the dealership, they can't get it to replicate the problem. Put like 30 miles on it.

Last few months more issues arise - Now it is prone to stick in 3 when coming to a stop in traffic, can't find what gear to be in at times and it feels like when it shifts it causes the truck to lunge forward, it will randomly get stuck in 3rd at super slow speed then cant pick a gear or wont shift. Even this morning driving into my parking ramp it wouldn't downshift from 3 to 2 or 1 on and incline then it almost appears the trucks computer is having a seizure.. The speedo will jump all around even though the truck isn't changing speeds. This result in me putting back down into 1 to get to a parking spot.

Oh yea, another thing that i have noticed since the reprogram or periodic failure is it seems to slip when shifting at low speeds. I.e. shift from 2 to 3 and you can watch the rpm's drop again after the shift is complete. Maybe 1-2 seconds after. But from what I have been reading, this may be normal for these transmissions.

At this point I don't trust the truck. I wont tow anything with it and don't trust the truck enough to let my wife drive it. Problem is, it isn't consistent and my worry is again, the dealer will say all is good and there goes more wasted money and still have a truck that is not trustworthy.

Anybody experienced similar or have any advice? I assume a private shop isn't the way to go since these things are so computerized? Would an actual transmission shop have the technology to work on this assuming it is actually transmission failure and its computerized or something. I have read about similar situations but yet to find the solution.

Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Phantom Transmission Problem