Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2010 Ford f150 KR 5.4 spark plug change DYI ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2010 Ford f150 KR 5.4 spark plug change DYI ....

I can't seem to find anything that details how to change these spark plugs. I find older model youtube videos for the 5.4l from 1998 to 2005 but nothing newer.

Can anyone point me to a video or detailed post somewhere that details how to change the spark plugs on a 2010 5.4l KR? I don't feel like paying $600 for 2 hours of work. Thank you so much in advance,
Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Replacement procedure

Plugs will likely have a 9/16" head and require an extended socket; make sure you use the latest Motorcraft plugs
*************************Spark Plugs

Removal
NOTICE: The spark plug procedure must be followed exactly or damage to the cylinder head and spark plug will result.

NOTICE: Do not remove the spark plugs when the engine is hot or cold soaked. Spark plug thread or cylinder head damage can occur. Make sure the engine is warm (hand touch after cooling down) prior to spark plug removal.
  1. Remove the ignition coil-on-plug. For additional information, refer to Ignition Coil-On-Plug in this section.
  1. NOTICE: Only use hand tools when removing or installing the spark plugs or damage can occur to the cylinder head or spark plug.
    NOTE: Use compressed air to remove any foreign material from the spark plug well before removing the spark plugs.
    Remove the spark plug.
  1. Inspect the spark plug for abnormal issues.

Installation
  1. Adjust the spark plug gap as necessary. For the correct spark plug gap specification, refer to Specifications in this section.
  1. NOTICE: Only use hand tools when removing or installing the spark plugs or damage can occur to the cylinder head or spark plug.

Install the spark plug.
    • Tighten to 12 Nm (106 lb-in).
  1. Install the ignition coil-on-plug. For additional information, refer to ignition coil-on-plug in this section.
ignition coil-on-plug section
Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the ignition coil-on-plug electrical connector.
  1. Remove the ignition coil-on-plug bolt.
    • To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. NOTE: When removing the ignition coil-on-plug, a slight twisting motion will break the seal and ease removal.
    Remove the ignition coil-on-plug.
  1. NOTE: Verify that the ignition coil spring is correctly located inside the ignition coil-on-plug boot and that there is no damage to the tip of the boot.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Apply a light coat of dielectric compound to the inside of the ignition coil boots.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford f150 KR 5.4 spark plug change DYI ....