Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2010 F-150 grinding noise

Old 08-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 F-150 grinding noise

Hey guys,

Just recently purchased this truck last week...and it is my first pickup ever. After about a week of driving the truck..just yesterday I began to hear a rough grinding noise and it sounded like it was coming from the front. Although, when i drove by some friends they said it was coming from the rear of the truck. It has 47K on it, and its a 4x4. A couple buddies of mine think it could be just brake pads that are toasted out completely or near to it.

When reading some other forums (some dated back in 2010)...I read some scary stuff on possible axle problems, IWE solenoid, transmission issues. etc. which is got me freaking out I might have been had on the purchase of the beautiful truck.

Can anyone help with feeding me some of their knowledge on things like this?? I am going to check out the pads tomorrow at a Precision Auto Care and see if they need replacing. But want to hear out the experts on this site as well if there could be another issue.. Thanks!

-Bryan
Old 08-26-2014, 10:34 AM

My 05 had a grinding noise coming from the front end. More than likely its your IWE failing due to vacuum loss..here's what I did to find out the issue..after figuring out it was the driver side front tire. I took a hand pump and hooked it up to the vacuum line that is connected to the IWE. You should be able to build vacuum with very little loss per minute. They say a 1lb/psi per minute is acceptable. Your IWE relies on a constant vacuum to keep your vehicle out of 4wd. After finding that I was losing alot more than what was acceptable I began to inspect the lines starting from the IWE working your way toward the Solenoid. The hole in the line was the size of a pin so look carefully. Hope this helps
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM

You might also want to test your IWE too because they can have leaks and or a weak spring. I ended up patching the line with some rubber crimping. I'd suggest you do it yourself unless you wanna pay the outrages labor charges these days.

Also note that Ford moved the vacuum lines in front of the frame which makes it a lot more vulnerable to debris. so maybe start by looking there? My 05 the lines are behind the frame so less likely to be hit by something.

Last edited by COD4Covert; 08-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 F-150 grinding noise