Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2009 F-150 Longbed, Randomly Died while driving

Old 12-15-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 F-150 Longbed, Randomly Died while driving

I will try to give a quick breakdown of what's happened over the past couple of weeks.

Model: 2009 F-150 Regular Cab Longbed

about 1.5 week ago
--------------------------
- Pulled into a gas station to get gas. Got gas, started truck back up, right before I pulled out of the lot the truck just died, and would not start back up.
- Had to have truck towed to a shop I'm familiar with using. Where it sat for a couple of days.

+2 days later
--------------------------
- After researching online, I thought it might be a Fuel Pump Drive Module, since apparently these 2009 F150's do not need fuel pump replacement very often. Bought a new one from Ford dealer, installed, and it didn't do a thing.
- Shop owner was working on truck for a couple of days, ended up finding no power/voltage to fuel pump, so explained the costs and what was involved. They said power was good to everything else.

+1 days
---------------------------
- Shop owner installed fuel pump, and we left the new FPDM on that I bought just to be safe.
- $692 later, the truck has started and was actually running when I got to the shop.
- Pulled out of shop, and about 1/2 mile down the road, the truck just dies.
- After a couple of tries, the truck started back up, and I was able to drive it to the shop.
- After another hour of tinkering with it, they said they thought the GPS on the truck from the finance company was doing something, maybe burning out the fuel pump? I have no idea, but after they clipped some cable module off, and test drove it for about 15 mins, they came back and said it should be good now.
- I drove it home (about 45 mins away) without any problems.
- That night (about 3-4 hours since getting home) I got to start the truck, and it won't start.

+1-3 days
- Have tried starting the truck 2-3 times per day, and it won't start except for 1 time, it started randomly in the morning, and it turned off by itself about 10 mins later.

+1 day
- Had car towed back down to service shop to have them continue looking at it. They said they think the truck's computer needs to be re-flashed, and it's possibly something to do with the finance company GPS.
- Talked to the Ford Dealer where it's currently sitting, and they are going to look at it in about 15-30 mins, but said they did NOT* think flashing the computer would do anything.

Any suggestions I could give the mechanic? To my knowledge, the only codes coming up are that I need some O2 sensors replaced, but I was told that they should not be causing these problems?
Attached Thumbnails 2009 F-150 Longbed, Randomly Died while driving-1a_800.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 F-150 Longbed, Randomly Died while driving