Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2008 F150 SRS, pretensioner, airbag light help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Michigan State Mike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Way to reset airbag light on 2008?

The airbag light on my 2008 F150 started flashing 34. I went to the local dealer and paid to have them diagnose it. They said it needed a new seatbelt pretensioner on the passenger side. They wanted around $600 to change it, which was too steep for me. I went to the parts dept, ordered the pretensioner (only $134!!) and installed it after disconnecting the negative battery terminal. Reconnected the battery, turned the key and the light is unfortunately still blinking the same code.

Does anyone know if a 2008 would require some type of reset to clear the airbag light, or should it have gone off automatically if the problem has been fixed? If a reset is needed, is it something I can do, or does a dealer have to do it? Can autozone do this? I saw stuff in other posts about grounding two pins on the airbag module, but the posts were all about older models. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by msumike55; 04-06-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Michigan State Mike

Talking Resolved! Airbag code 34 on 2008 F150

If anyone else comes looking for this info, here ya go.

The airbag code 34 on my 2008 F150 did indeed have to do with the passenger side pretensioner. However, after changing it out, I found that the pretensioner itself was not the issue. The real culprit for me was a very small plastic clip (like a very small retaining clip or standoff) that slides into the connector/plug that fits into the pretensioner. I couldn't even tell it was missing because it was so small and didn't seem to serve any purpose. Even when comparing the passenger side to the driver side I didn't see a difference at first. But, this little clip lightly depresses two prongs inside of the pretensioner plug. Without the clip, the airbag light will continue blinking 34. I'm not sure why it was missing, although I imagine some stuff I had sitting between the seat and under the seat had come in contact and knocked it off.

Second answer: I found out that once you correct the issue, the airbag light will turn off automatically. No reset is necessary on this year model F150.

Hope this maybe helps someone else who encounters the code 34 or wonders if they need a reset on a 2008.
The following users liked this post:
Megatr0n (01-02-2014)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Where did you buy the clip needed?

Can you tell me where you obtained the clip from? Ours is also missing!
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 AM

Hey guys, I am having a 34 error code from my airbag light sequence. I have a 2004 F150 Screw. I went out to my truck and unplugged, blew it off with canned air and reattached. Light is still on dash. Is this the correct plug that should be worked on? There is another large white plug, but I didn't think that was the one that would be causing the error, but I don't know much.

Here is a pic of the plug I unplugged;

Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 AM

Default ford f150 pretensioner 2004- yellow plug

Yes, that is the plug I was referring to. My problem was the wiring had come loose as well as the yellow piece was missing. Ordered new plug off of eBay for a total of $22 and fixed. Dealer wanted $600! They wanted to replace whole prey pretensioner unit.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM

I have the same 34 code on my 2005 F150 SCAB Lariet. I was advised by my mechanic to change the drivers side pretensioner, I did and the light is still on. Both yellow clips are in place...my mechanic now says to change the passenger side pretensioner. At $165 each I do not want to buy a second without being sure....any suggestions?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

The yellow piece is a CPA - contact position assurance. It's job is to make sure the contact (or terminal) stays in position in an electrical connector. Without it the contact can shift and end up not making contact. You may or may not be able to find the connector shell and CPA for sale separately.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:24 AM

Anybody find an actual Ford part number for this pigtail or an aftermarket manufacturer that makes these plugs or at least the CPA that sticks in the connector? I have looked through wiring diagrams and tried to find part numbers and haven't been successful in finding a source for the part.

I know it is connector C3202, and it is harness number 14C719. According to IdentiFix the service pigtail is "Not Available".

I know this is an old post i figured this was better than posting a new thread where everyone was going to tell me that this has all been covered before and "use search".

Thanks in advance,

Sig

Quick Reply: 2008 F150 SRS, pretensioner, airbag light help