Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2008 5.4L Radiator Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 5.4L Radiator Drain Plug

Flushing my cooling system last week I broke the radiator drain plug (draincock/petcock) off in the radiator. Searched this forum and the rest of the www. and failed to find helpful advice. Just wanted to share what I found out.
1. My drain plug was not a screw-in type plug, but rather a cam type plug. This type plug is opened by hand (or help with a pliers, etc.) and while turning it will open (move outward away from radiator) about 1/2" in 180 degrees.
2. Do not, repeat do not turn it >180 degrees. Also ensure while turning it it opens outward. If not it will strip, break, etc.
3. Ordered the part from Ford (8L2Z-8115-A) for $28.00, and yes was advised 5 days later it would come in. And yes this is the cam type plug not a screw-in type plug as pictured on numerous sites online.
4. It's the middle of hunting season here in MT and I NEED MY TRUCK!
5. Searched the web and found Dorman 61134, a cam type plug made for GM (yes GM). Ran to local auto store and purchased said Dorman 61134 plug for $4.98 and completed the repair of the truck. Not even the Dorman Website has this listed for the Ford.
6. Oh, used a weed puller type fork to extract broken plug from radiator.
7. Have extra $28 Ford plug sitting in my garage for next fluid change.
The following users liked this post:
jerryricht (12-18-2016)
Old 06-07-2020, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you for taking the time to post. I did the exact same thing today. As you mentioned, the plug as it is is not listed under Ford no matter where you look, not even on the ford site, they have the screw in type listed for 2008. Dorman has it for 9+ now (4 years later) and still under GM.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:20 AM

Received 495 Likes on 429 Posts

That is the reason I do not and discourage ever touching those cheap plastic petcocks. I remove the lower radiator hose off the radiator. You get much more coolant out of the system and takes less time to drain.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petcock drain

Originally Posted by MadeInMT
Flushing my cooling system last week I broke the radiator drain plug (draincock/petcock) off in the radiator. Searched this forum and the rest of the www. and failed to find helpful advice. Just wanted to share what I found out.
1. My drain plug was not a screw-in type plug, but rather a cam type plug. This type plug is opened by hand (or help with a pliers, etc.) and while turning it will open (move outward away from radiator) about 1/2" in 180 degrees.
2. Do not, repeat do not turn it >180 degrees. Also ensure while turning it it opens outward. If not it will strip, break, etc.
3. Ordered the part from Ford (8L2Z-8115-A) for $28.00, and yes was advised 5 days later it would come in. And yes this is the cam type plug not a screw-in type plug as pictured on numerous sites online.
4. It's the middle of hunting season here in MT and I NEED MY TRUCK!
5. Searched the web and found Dorman 61134, a cam type plug made for GM (yes GM). Ran to local auto store and purchased said Dorman 61134 plug for $4.98 and completed the repair of the truck. Not even the Dorman Website has this listed for the Ford.
6. Oh, used a weed puller type fork to extract broken plug from radiator.
7. Have extra $28 Ford plug sitting in my garage for next fluid change.
my petcock drain sounds similar to yours, it stops turning at the quarter turn, wondering if it’s supposed to pull back at that quarter turn. I will attach this picture. I have a 2008 F150 with the 4.6 the picture is something I got off the internet, it’s not mine, just thinking that if it stops after a quarter turn that this might be the type that I have, I can only go by the part I can grab onto, I still haven’t got any farther than the quarter turn part.

Last edited by scottbalun; 01-25-2024 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.4L Radiator Drain Plug