Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2007 F150 Brake Wear

Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 F150 Brake Wear

I have a 2007 5.4L V8 4WD F150 XLT.

It has 35600 miles on it as of today.

I drive about 50 miles roundtrip to work on the freeway and anywhere from 10-40 miles a day on dirt / muddy roads. (I work on a strip coal mine).

At about 13000 miles of having the truck, I had to replace rear pads and have the rotors turned. At 17000, I replaced the front pads.

Since then, I have replaced front and rear pads 2 more times - the last being at 30000 miles.

Today, 5500 miles later, the brakes are grinding again.

I have had all my work done at the dealership. 5 days ago, I had oil changed and tires rotated and they didn't comment on the condition of my brakes.

This time, I am buying the pads and having a mechanic here at the mine put them on, and to grease the sliders on the calipers...

The outer pad is always in excellent condition but the inner pad is always metal.

Any suggestions?

Note: My last vehicle, although it was lighter and I only drove on the freeway, last 55000 miles before I needed to put pads on it. I don't abuse the braking system.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Would suggest having this mechanic at the mine pull master cylinder away from power brake booster and measure the clearance between the rod and the piston. He will know what I'm thinking. Feeling master cylinder is not being left alone to release fully. Need a gap, not much but a gap, .020-.030.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Thank you for the reply Bill.

Did not get around to my truck today as we had other major mechanical issues occur or more important equipment. I took it by a dealership and argued for awhile... but could not get any service since they were packed full... so I am guessing tomorrow I will have to replace rotors as well. (No tools or area to do this myself, and I have no hands on experience working on things... just book and word of mouth).

I did call around at some other dealerships and spoke with some of the services managers before going to the place I go for service...

They were shocked by me needing to replace pads at that mileage on the rear period, much less the fact this would be the 4th time I will have done so.

It was said to get some anti-sieze and put on the caliper pins and also on the levers that control the park brake that also use the same pads(?).

I just hope it gets fixed tomorrow, brake pads get expensive

Again thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:13 PM

One thing to consider and watch out for ....

I had a similar problem with rapid brake pad wear on the drivers side front of my 04 and I am wondering if what you describe might be the initial stages of what I experienced. With mine the piston inside the caliper was either hanging or cocked a little sideways in the bore causing drag, rapid wear and excessive heat. When the brakes would cool the problem went away temporarily. In the end the brake on that wheel locked completely. When the mechanic pulled the caliper off, he had a pretty hard time prying it off. The piston was literally shattered and in peices inside the bore. Watch out for that if you arent under warranty (i am lucky i was). Rotors on my truck have the wheel bearings integated and arent cheap. The dealer wound up replacing 2 rotors, put new brakes on the front and of course replaced the bad caliper.

Last edited by incogmeo; 03-01-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 F150 Brake Wear