Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2006 F150 STX 4.6L Trans Hard Shift From a Stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F150 STX 4.6L Trans Hard Shift From a Stop

Damn this is annoying ...

So, my transmission is shifting hard when accelerating from a stop. When I am stopped ay a 4-way or a light, and I begin to accelerate, the transmission shifts hard -- what I believe is a downshift into first, but I don't know that for sure. If I accelerate very gently this hard shift does not happen -- I guess because the truck is taking off in second. Other than this, the trans shifts just fine. It down shifts great while cruising and I hit the gas to pass someone or something like that -- I guess obviously because its not downshifting into first. Anyone ever experience anything similar or have any idea? I have not done anything to it yet. I know a lot about cars in general, but very little about automatic transmission.

Thanks.

- Matt
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 PM

If this is just something that needs a rebuild to fix, I might just wait for a catastrophic failure to occur and do a complete rebuild.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

If you haven't done it already, check your fluid for burning smell or low on the dipstick. Even a pint low could cause this issue. If that all checks out, you can try some Seafoam treatment. If it was me, I'd have a complete service done on the trans including draining the torque converter and replacing the filter. Check the pan for excessive metal. This could indicate a band going bad or the torque converter going out.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Default 2006 stx

I have a 2006 stx 4x4. just bought it.
4.6L
every time I get off the hwy and come to a stop, it feels like I'm in 2nd when I take off again. Like its not downshifting all the way to 1st. Anyone have a solution?

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 STX 4.6L Trans Hard Shift From a Stop