Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2006 F-150 FX4 5.4L V8 FFV - Hesitation when flooring throttle sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F-150 FX4 5.4L V8 FFV - Hesitation when flooring throttle sometimes

So I'm curious what others might think could be the cause with my truck's latest hesitation issue. I'm guessing plugs, a bad coil (all are brand new just installed two nights ago), fuel injectors need to be cleaned, or possibly fuel filter (I'm replacing it tonight).

I've been having some god awful misfires for a while and knew that meant another COP and/or plugs needed to be replaced, so I put in a full set of 8 Globals a few nights back. I'm still waiting on my new plugs and lisle extraction tool to arrive before changing out the plugs.

The misfires are mostly gone now, though I do still get them. Before, it was pretty much guaranteed to be constantly misfiring while under load from about 45mph to 65mph when going up even the slightest hill, and we're not talking about a misfire here and there - under load it would shake the whole truck a good bit at times. Now, it only misfires when I'm going up slight hills at about 40mph, and it's not guaranteed to happen then. Yesterday for example, I drove about 32 miles with maybe a couple of misfires. The engine light never came on through all of this, by the way.

Now for the hesitation issue that just showed up. When trying to pass someone on the interstate yesterday, I floored the accelerator and instantly the engine struggled, I lost power, and it sounded like it might even be trying to flood itself or choke out. I let off the accelerator and tried again, and then it was fine. So as I drove back to work, I floored it a few times again to see if I could reproduce the hesitation. Sometimes it would and sometimes it would accelerator just fine. It also sounded like it was coming from the passenger side of the engine. That's also where I suspect my bad coil(s) came from. I changed out the 4 on the drivers side and test drove it, and the original misfires were unchanged. When I pulled the COP from 2nd cylinder from the front, passenger side, the coil was about a half inch shorter than all the other COPs. I checked the plug and plug well, but there was no broken coil down there, and the coil did not appear to have broken off the end...it was just, shorter for some reason like it had tightened up. I don't know, maybe it's stuck to the plug or broken off in the well and I just didn't see it even though I checked, but like I said, the end of the coil didn't look like it had snapped off, just that it was shorter.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the hestitation issue outside of the above mentioned possibilities?

Quick Reply: 2006 F-150 FX4 5.4L V8 FFV - Hesitation when flooring throttle sometimes