Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2006 4x4 Repair Help

Old 12-21-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2006 4x4 Repair Help

My front wheels wont engage when I select 4H or 4L. No dash lights are ever lit.

I read up and understand how the system works and plan to replace the solenoid, transfer case motor and both hub actuators. I swapped out the solenoid and wanted to test that it was functioning properly so I followed the video below:

With the engine running and selector switch at 2WD, I pull the vacuum lines off and can feel vacuum at the supply. I then hook up just the supply line up (to the bottom port) and expect to feel vacuum at the other solenoid port (top port - what I would call the outlet) and cannot feel any vacuum.

This has halted my repair attempts as I am not convinced this is functioning and would pull in the actuators if they were functional. I know it's a small vacuum from a small orifice but I would think I should feel it by hand, no?

The solenoid's electrical connector is plugged in during this as well.

I get the same performance with the old solenoid and the new.

If I bypass the solenoid I can feel vacuum at the front wheel hubs.

No OBDII codes at all

Any ideas on what to try next?

Last edited by bsouth19; 12-23-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:58 PM

Replaced the transfer case motor today... still no dash lights.

Maybe it's an electrical issue? Not sure where to start that investigation...

that doesn't explain why I have no vacuum leaving the solenoid when I'm in 2wd. Confirmed that today with a gauge. No idea where to go...
Old 12-24-2016, 10:25 AM

put a dmm across the two pins of the solenoid connector and got 12V.

i guess i have 2 faulty iwe solenoids? seems crazy...

anyone?
Old 12-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Why are you replacing parts that may not be broken.. get a vacuum pump and troubleshoot properly.. your local parts store may have one to loan. Pull vacuum at each IWE to ensure they are moving in and out properly and not leaking.. then test the vacuum line itself all the way to the solenoid. Have you checked fuses ? No lights on the dash really don't point to a vacuum problem. Normally an IWE solenoid or T-case shift motor.. which you have replaced.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:28 AM

I was attempting to troubleshoot when I ran into the vacuum issue from the iwe solenoid.

no wonder 4wd wasn't working if the vacuum was not ever getting to the hub actuators. Relays and fuses appear to be intact. I do not hear a click of any sort in the cabin when switching between 2wd and 4wd however.

we're you saying that no lights are the dash usually point to solenoid and transfer case motor or the opposite?

the video I posted shows an unenergized solenoid passing vacuum through the 2 ports. I cannot do that on the original or the replacement solenoid. Am I misinterpreting that?
Old 12-24-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

if the vacuum was not ever getting to the hub actuators., I think you are thinking
backwards. a vacuum supply at the actuators disengages them. jack the truck up
with the engine off and spin the front tires, if the halfshafts do not turn with the tires
(try both sides) you probably need front wheel bearings and actuators. As far as no
4x4 lights indicated on the dash, it could be the solenoid but you changed that.
without a scan tool to retrieve codes will will be throwing good money away. and just
because it may have a motor code doesn't mean it is bad although I replaced a lot
in my day. broken wires, corroded connectors, 2wd-4wd relay. are possible. And 1 other thing I have seen more than one, when someone put in an aftermarket radio or
replaced blend door actuator, they remove the trim panel on the dash for access, then forget to plug the switch back in.

Just saw where you scanned it, OBD codes if generic may not show, you have to ck codes in the GEM or
4x4 module, cant remember what your year uses. with cheaper scan tools some modules are not accessible.

Last edited by greasyknuckles; 12-24-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:13 PM

I will check the switch.

I agree that the 4x4 should have been engaged because there is no vacuum.

my troubleshooting stopped when I say no vacuum was leaving the solenoid. What could cause that? It doesn't matter if the iwe actuators are functioning or not, because if there is never vacuum getting there they will.always be engaged.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Why are you replacing parts that may not be broken.. get a vacuum pump and troubleshoot properly.. your local parts store may have one to loan. Pull vacuum at each IWE to ensure they are moving in and out properly and not leaking.. then test the vacuum line itself all the way to the solenoid. Have you checked fuses ? No lights on the dash really don't point to a vacuum problem. Normally an IWE solenoid or T-case shift motor.. which you have replaced.
I was troubleshooting by attacking yhe solenoid issue. Testing the actuators does not matter if the solenoid is never supplying vacuum. They should always be engaged. Right? What would cause my solenoid to never supply vacuum. It would be switch or power related... I think?
Old 12-24-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

this is where a service manual would come in handy, I don't think you could have
2 bad solenoids but anything is possible. did you try switching it into 4x4 and then
checking to see if you had vacuum? (engine running of course). a thought I just had
is did the new solenoid have the rain hat? (plastic hood over it) at one time that was
the only way you could get them---but I think the pre '04 trucks used a solenoid that
looked the same but acted opposite IE power to close not open the passageway.
just random thoughts in my head as I gave up the biz 2 years ago. techrep is correct about testing the vac. lines also
Old 12-28-2016, 08:42 PM

the solenoid i replaced had the rain hat on it so it was replaced before at least once.

my new solenoid behaves the same way as the one that i replaced, so i doubt it is a solenoid issue.

had the front left jacked up to change a tire today and spun the tire. the half shaft assembly spun as well. so the actuators are engaged when the engine is off and they are indeed engaging. this is very confusing...

if i dont have vacuum at the hubs, the 4wd should be engaged, and it looks like they will engage as they should, but my rears were spinning last week and the fronts werent doing anything.

any ideas?

also saw a tear in my cv boot... very exciting day.

Search this Thread