Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2005 Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Tune up

I've got a 2005 F150 that I need to do a tune up on. Its well over due as it has 172xxx miles on it and to my knowledge hasn't ever had one. Its got a misfire on #8 so I'm going to change all the plugs and the coil pack on 8 but my question is since I'm already in there and as many miles as it has should I go ahead and replace all of the coil packs? Besides the oil change and cleaning my k&n air filter what else do y'all recommend I do?
I'm a little terrified of this project as all the problems I've read people having but my friends husband whose a mechanic is going to help me and I've got the spark plug tool.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Default 2005 Tune up

I wouldn't worry about changing the COP's, but definitely get new boots for them and clean off the corrosion on the spring to coil contact point. The coil boots are around $4 as opposed to around $50 for the coil itself.
This will be a good time to clean the throttle body and mass airflow sensor. Especially since you have an oiled air filter.
If you have the original O2 sensors, they are probably not working as well as they should after 170k miles.
Put some Techron in the tank to clean the fuel system. That may even help loosen the carbon buildup in the cylinders. Right before I changed my plugs I ran two tanks with Techron back to back and noticed the motor running a bit better. Also I didn't break any plugs, but I'm not sure if the Techron helped with that or not. In general, I run a tank full with every oil change.
Don't be too scared. It sucks doing the plugs, but if you've done your research and are prepared then it won't be too bad.
The following users liked this post:
Rsnekprincess23 (07-30-2015)

Quick Reply: 2005 Tune up