Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2005 Ford F150 - I caused a fuel leak, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ford F150 - I caused a fuel leak, any suggestions?

Just finished changing the plugs on my 2005 F-150 5.4L triton. Yeah, that one!

Yes, all 8 plugs ended up broken. 7 out of 8 of the plugs came out with the Lisle tool with no major problems, but with one of them the "pusher" just shoved the entire broken end further into the cylinder. I ended up having to chisel the porcelain on that (after trying and failing with the "glue" / pins technique last night) and then the Lisle tool did its magic.

Anyway, got it put back together, vacuumed my carb cleaner out of all cylinders, cranked it, and things turned over and fired up after a few seconds OK, except I heard something spraying. Anyway, there was fuel spraying in the engine compartment. So of course I cut it off, backed it out of the garage, cleaned up the spilled gasoline (several cups including the gas sitting on top of the cylinders).

At one point during this process I took something off the fuel rail on the driver side near the very front of the truck to try and give myself more room. Then the fuel in the line started to drain down (I let air in the rail). I closed and bolted that thing back (correctly I thought). This is the same side of the engine where the fuel sprayed from (the other side was dry).

Do you think I might have put that "thing", whatever it is, back on the fuel rail wrong? Should I just tighten it up more, do I need to replace gaskets?

Any suggestions on what I need to look at would be appreciated. From what I could see all the spark plug / coil assemblies on the driver's side bank look fine (and there was too much gasoline IMO to be from inside the cylinder anyway).
Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default thing was the fuel press regulator sensor?

my 2005 has the same thing on drivers side . It plugs in to wiring harness and has a return hose on it back to gas tank I think . I pulled the whole fuel rail out including passenger side and replaced all fuel injectors . See you tube for this. The incoming line from the gas tank comes from the tank to the drivers side and is released with special ac ,fuel tool that you can get at harbor freight for example .
You tube will show you how . To bleed down fuel pressure lift battery negative lead for a half hour or so before you mess with it .Make sure you have a cool engine . I would think you need a new gasket or you didn't rehook the return line backup when you tried it .
Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 AM

Default Pressure sensor regulator

It's a pressure sensor regulator according to YouTube.

I think it's a vacuum hose.

Anyway, I don't remember anything about a gasket on this part and when I checked there isn't a gasket, just the plastic body and metal fuel rail. Anyone know different?

When I checked the bolts weren't terribly tight - I suspect I was worried about overtightening and damaging.

I think I will just tighten them a lot more and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 AM

I remembered finding an o-ring in the bottom of one of the spark plug wells.

A light came on!

Anyway, now the o-ring is back on the pressure sensor. Unfortunately, one of the bolts broke while I was tightening it back. But I think we are good to go once I come back with a bolt!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford F150 - I caused a fuel leak, any suggestions?