Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2005 5.4 v8 Problem I can't fix - Running problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 5.4 v8 Problem I can't fix - Running problem

Hi,
first of all I am overseas and please excuse my english if I make any mistake.

this is for a 2005 5.4 v8 that was slightly hit in the front , i mean very slightly , no bags or nothing :
the truck idles bad and burns a lot of gas, before it was doing it when hot ( or it semt like it ) now it does it all the time.
Car has 23000 miles only
We did the following:
Change all coils, plugs, wire and computers
we Did te testing with the debit air meter to see if there was an air leak, we also sprayed some starter fluid around the intake to see if there was a depression that would suck air in (with starter fluid it would result in engine running higher)
The car HAS NO ENGINE light
The mechanic mentioned to me this morning that it might be a cut in the wiring somehere that gives wrong info then to the injectors and thus resulting in more gas consumption..the car needs a 1 gallon for 8 miles right now .
Warm or cold , same symptoms now.
Car is NOT a flood car.

And the car seems to run on 4 or 5 or 6 cylinders.

Please try to give me some advice we are stuck , and here no one service those cars , so I bought all the computers to get them checked ( i have a 2007 navigator and lincoln mark lt 2006 and a navigator 2005 also so I needed the computer to get someone to fix them here )
thanks for the help
Jean Marc
Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Unplug the Mass Air Flow meter and see if it runs better.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry that my experience on the 5.4 is zip, nada, nothing! As engines go, have you taken a compression reading on all cylinders. Don't want to invent electrical issues when it could be a basic engine concern. Is the CEL on? If so, get it scanned and list the codes. There are guys here just itching to help. Good luck and get back to us. Oh and don't worry about your spelling or wording, no-one here is any better.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 AM

Angry Additional Informations

Compressions are all good .
We did the air thing , we used a debit meter to check if there was any air loss.
so far we dont know where to look.
Jean Marc
Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Check the spark plugs first. What do they look like? Normal wear or deterioration? If it feels like you have lost a cylinder I would start there before going electrical.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 AM

Unhappy What we did so far

Compressions all good , air loss checked also , all exhaust dismantled to check if catalytic was causing a problem, injectors changed, coils changed, plugs and wires of course too. Injection full unit was changed with another one , all computers also changed, air box checked , there is not a lot left to check...
Old 06-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked coolant temp and intake air temp sensors ? need to look at pid data with the scan tool. If you have access to that than what are short and long term fuel trims at ? also look at the fuel rail pressure pid to see what youre fuel pressure is at ?
PM me youre vin # also I will check a few things
Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 AM

Hi and thanks for the answer.
I have changed the Fuel intake (or whatever the english name is for this) with another one and the symptom is still there...it is really mind bugging.
I will try to get yo some readings as you request.
The vin is 5LMFU27525LJ20845
Jean Marc
Old 06-22-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is for the navigator correct? You said you already changed all the coils correct? Have you had the plugs out and made sure they arent fouled? you said you changed injectors also correct? that vehicle does have the extended coverage for injectors and would cause all of youre described symptoms.. if you did change them are you certain you have the correct ones installed ?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:18 AM

Default Hello KTM boyz

What we did , we disconnected the Injector rail and applied a tool that send the exact right pressure on the injector, so I know we have to good pressure applied and restituted.

In fact we did not change the injectors and I looked in the FORD tech book , , there is no such thing as recall or something like this on the car ..can you clear out what you meant in yoru email?

There is something that is very interesting in helping finding the problem:
Thee is no error codes on this truck, each time we start it , it runs like sh** , but when we disconnect the battery and reconnect it after it has clean the memory the trucks runs good for like one minute and then again starts to run like s**t.
Also when you disconnect a coil on a Ford , it idles extremely rough usually and when we do it on this one it does not do it ...

I am REALLY REALLY REALLY in deep s*** as I have to deliver it and we are completely stuck
thanks for your help anyway
Please let me know what your thoughts are.
Jean Marc

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4 v8 Problem I can't fix - Running problem