Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2004 fx4 5.4 not starting

Old 12-16-2014, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 fx4 5.4 not starting

Okay so my check engine light came on on the highway so when I got home I hooked up the code reader and the code said coolant temperature not proper temperature. It is winter So I am pretty sure it's the thermostat because I have noticed lately the temperature gauge doesn't go higher than a quarter when it used to go to half. So I thought until I pick up a new thermostat I would put cardboard in front of the rad to help boost the temp. I did so and cut about a 6"x 6" square out of the cardboard to get some airflow. After I put the cardboard in front of the rad I waited about a half hour I went to start the truck and it would turn over no problem but it wouldn't start. I took the cardboard out of the rad area and the truck started no problem. My question is why? Maybe MAF sensor? Any help would be great!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Default fixed

so i changed out the thermostat and now the tempeture goes easy to half way mark. Job took 15 minutes and i was dragging my feet. haha
Still would like to know why the truck would turn over but not start when the rad was covered. If any one has any idea please put it out there.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Newby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a weird one, because your MAF sensor is on top of the engine directly past the air-filter, which is a good ways away from the radiator, and the air is sucked in through the driver-side fender. Try it again and see if it still does it, could be an unfortunate coincidence of something else acting up on your vehicle and it just so happened to occur on the startup after the cover and go away once you removed it.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:49 PM

So I was thinking......is the coolant temperature sensor the cause. Because I let the truck warm up before putting the cardboard in front of the rad and after it wouldn't start I took the cardboard out and there was a lot of heat around the rad area. So could that of caused the not starting issue?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

You should not have to put a piece of cardboard in the front...your T-stat did the trick..wondering why you did not flush and change your coolant when you did the T-Stat ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 fx4 5.4 not starting