Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2004 Front wheel grinding noise. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Front wheel grinding noise. Please help

Hello all. First of all thank you for taking a look. I have a 2004 F150 4x4 with the 5.4. A few months ago I had a terrible grinding noise out of the driver side tire. It would sort of lock up, grind really terribly but then it would pop out of it once I slowed down. Only did this after some sort of turn usually though it wasn't very consistent as to what type of turn and when. After doing some research I decided to replace the 4x4 actuator on that side as it seemed like it was half locking in. Replaced the solenoid and the hub actuator itself and the noise seemed to stop. Now it is back and with a vengeance. My only other thoughts were the wheel bearing and the brake caliper maybe locking up. I have also replaced the cv axle on that side. Any ideas would be fantastic.

On an unrelated note, as this truck has been sitting in my driveway waiting for me to figure it out I noticed a sizable coolant leak. This is not related to wheel issue, I just have terrible luck. When I look for the leak I can only see it dripping off of the front of the oil pan and the front axle. Any idea where this might be coming from?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As for the coolant leak, probably the water pump. Just follow the leak up. If you can't find it, auto parts stores sell a UV die you can put in your coolant. VERY easy to find even the smallest leak with that stuff. If you suspect a wheel bearing, lift that tire off the ground and rock it side to side (in all directions; i.e. 9 and 3, 12 and 6, 10 and 4, etc). If you feel ANY movement, it's out of spec.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, when you lift that tire off the ground, put it in neutral and spin the tire listening for the sound.

Quick Reply: 2004 Front wheel grinding noise. Please help